93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

HP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: HP?

ORIGINAL: GMDCAMARO

what is BHP? sorry not the best with acronyms.
RWHP = Rear wheel Horse Power which is the amount of power a car produces at the rear wheels.

BHP = Brake Horse Power which is the amount of horse power the engine in the car produces.

There is a difference becuase there is a 13-18% (average) loss of HP in the transmission & drivetrain. Companies measure the cars HP in BHP, while alot of hot rodders and tuners use RWHP. Its all up to personal opinion, but I like to tell people both. Anytime you just see "HP" it accully means BHP, but most people leave off the B.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Never mind.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chappie99
Not restrictive? Like hell. I changed the stock exhaust on my 99 V6 to a dual exhuast set up. Nothing special, just a replacement muffler and dual tail pipes. It was like letting a priest run wild at a boy scout meeting. The difference was quite noticable. Besides the fact that the stock pips are 2 1/4" when they should be 2 1/2" which also will make a difference.
I'm looking into putting in a new muffler with dual outlets, and I don't expect any drastic HP changes. An aftermarket muffler will most likely be less restrictive than the stock muffler. Other than that all it adds is aesthetic value, and a nicer sound. The stock exhaustpipes are 2.25" in diameter. Putting on 2.5" exhaust pipes isn't much of a big difference except to the price you pay. If you can do simple math you'll find out that the difference between 2.5" and 2.25" is only .25". That .25" on exhaust pipe after the cat doesn't increase the total area of pipe for exhaust gas to flow through very much, and in my opinion I'm not about to pay another $100-$200 for a measly .25".

Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

ORIGINAL: Chappie99
Not restrictive? Like hell. I changed the stock exhaust on my 99 V6 to a dual exhuast set up. Nothing special, just a replacement muffler and dual tail pipes. It was like letting a priest run wild at a boy scout meeting. The difference was quite noticable. Besides the fact that the stock pips are 2 1/4" when they should be 2 1/2" which also will make a difference.
I'm looking into putting in a new muffler with dual outlets, and I don't expect any drastic HP changes. An aftermarket muffler will most likely be less restrictive than the stock muffler. Other than that all it adds is aesthetic value, and a nicer sound. The stock exhaustpipes are 2.25" in diameter. Putting on 2.5" exhaust pipes isn't much of a big difference except to the price you pay. If you can do simple math you'll find out that the difference between 2.5" and 2.25" is only .25". That .25" on exhaust pipe after the cat doesn't increase the total area of pipe for exhaust gas to flow through very much, and in my opinion I'm not about to pay another $100-$200 for a measly .25".
Accully mate, the magna flow & flowmaster cat back systems are both 2 1/2 inches. After installing them on several 3.8s they all dynod in at adding about 11 RWHP. That is a huge change for a simple cat back. The stock system is very restrictive & ugly. The upgrade is worth every penny.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Overdrive Member

This post reminds me, it would do all well to check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheStig

Accully mate, the magna flow & flowmaster cat back systems are both 2 1/2 inches. After installing them on several 3.8s they all dynod in at adding about 11 RWHP. That is a huge change for a simple cat back. The stock system is very restrictive & ugly. The upgrade is worth every penny.
Do you have conclusive data showing the comparison between 3.8's with Magnaflow and Flowmaster mufflers on both 2.25" piping, and 2.5" piping. If so I bet the difference isn't too big.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM

How hard would it be to put in the aluminum driveshaft? My dad has his own garage and the lift and everything but if I could doit myself i'd like to becuase I wont to learn the hard way[8D]

Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

I found these install instructions when I searched for "aluminum driveshaft install." Bill seemed to do apretty good step by step write up.

https://camaroforums.com/m_57687/tm.htm

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Ninja Administrator

good lord.... a v6 exhaust thread and nobody has said anything about gutting the cat?

aaawwwwwwwwwww poooo..... I went and screwed it up [&o]

Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
4th Gear Member

haha.. of corse, thats 300HP rite there! gut the cat! more you brag about it the more it builds HP too!

really stig, you think it'd add 50 crank HP? i didnt think the 3.8s were that restricted stock. i can see about 235. but you have the facts not me lol.
and i thought BHP was Base Horse Power?(base meaning engine/crannk/dyno queen/ whatever. before drivetrain loss) same thing just thought the "B" ment base.