93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help! Think I broke my camaro =-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Unhappy Help! Think I broke my camaro =-S

black smoke from underneath.
Hello all, i have a 160,000 miles 1997 v6 3.8lt base model camaro and has become more like a project, i have fixed so many issues from small to big, including blown HG, clough hoses and cooling issues, etc. Now, in middle of my work week it started shaking overnight, it not a steady shake is stronger and weaker and it does not feel like a consistent patron. It also does a little clanking from time to time, i drove it like 16 miles like that and sometimes it shakes more when i push accelerator but sometimes at higher speed shakes less, at idle shakes and it feels like it will stall sometimes. i drove it today to job and back very slowly and carefully, cant seem to get rpm's up and i barely have any power at times, but when i came home after driving at 20 mph for a while without being able to go higher, i felt burned rubber/plastic/(maybe wires) smell and when i parked i noticed black smoke from underneath, exhaust was shaking a lot in seccion away from cat convert (which was smoking bad) and one section of was red (like hot red) and it all smelled like burned. My oil pressure was good at all times and temp gauge did not go up. I was considering an engine swap due to perfotmance... Is it possible that us a transmission issue? If is, I think that's about it, but it seems to shift smoothly and quietly (auto btw). I read some fuel issue could cause the lost of power/shaking... but the hot exhaust i cant explain. My last oil change was like 200 miles ago and did a transmission tune up a week ago. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

any codes im thinking you have an injector stuck open if the exhaust is really hot its because fuel is getting into the cat and burning

and it deff sounds like you have a misfire here

Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Possible clogged converter? I've had that myself on my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. That would explain the loss of power and shaking. If you feel like starting it again let it get warm then check the exhaust from the cat back, around the muffler. If it feels cooler than it should at normal temp then I would replace the cat and go from there.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Clogged cat makes darn too much sense (specially for the rettling noise its making) but i turned it on and the large straight section of exaust shakes a lot but clear gas smelling vapors/gases blow out from exhaust and even tho cat is damaged, is not clogged. I was gonna remove cat but is weilded front and back, i can start car but i know i cant drive it for over a couple of miles =-S and like i said, is shaking a lot, specially when i put D. I will read about injectors and see if there is a way i can check them or something, any advise is more than welcome.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM

How can i check the ignition coils? I turn on car and start unplugging the plug wires until i see any changes? thank you.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

are there any codes stored?sounds like i would;check the ign and fuel pressure and volume the red hot exhaust could set the car on fire too

Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Droid

If parts of the exhaust are turnig red, then a lot of raw fuel is getting burned in the exhaust. The usual cause of raw fuel in the exhaust is misfire. The cat is probably done for as they don't like to get baked at 1500 degrees, and should be replaced as it is now probably clogged by all the innards disintegrated by the heat. A clogged cat could have been the start of your problems as it can cause misfires, which then causes excessive heat in the exhaust. However, IMO the engine was misfiring due to an ignition or injection problem, and dumping raw fuel in the exhaust.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 AM

How can i check ignition coils and injectors? i read some time ago that i could check the coils by unplugging wire by wire one at a time and check car performance, but i dont know if i should do it with engine on or try to start it after every wire i unplug, also i dont know if it constitutes a shocking hazard or something. I want to stop the misfire first so i can drive it to the closest mufflershop or smthing, or... should i tow it? I could replace a bad coil or maybe even a plug, i dont want to be charged for that, but the cat is welded to the exhaust and i cant do myself in my driveway =-S.