93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

What Are Some Good Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What Are Some Good Upgrades?

Hey guys, I got a camaro again and love it, Id like to do some upgrades to the HP if its possible, mainly things that aren't too difficult (Im not good with engines).

I have a 99 Camaro v6 3800 II

- I heard there are chips to boost HP, are any of them good that work?

- Should I get a K&N Air filter? Or should I get cold air intake system? Are either of those good? I am guessing the Cold Air intake replaces the air filter spot if I were to get that.

- Are any exhuasts good? I have single exhuast, is it possible to upgrade to duel exhaust on a v6?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok first off lets say no to chips. They make your car run worse. Go for a cold air intake followed by some pacesetter headers and either magnaflow, borla, flow master cat back exhaust. You'd have to choose your sound for what brand to go with. Doing all this should bump your hp up to around 220. Then you can look into a tune from PCM for less and this will give you a better mpg and open up your hp to 230+. Then if that's not enough you can get into doing a high flow cat, a custom cam shaft, msd ignition, port and polished heads, intake manifold and throttle body.
Hope this info helps you out a lot.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks man Ill look some up these up after work tomorrow.

By the way, I bought a CD deck to relpace the stock one, and I cant find out where to get a good housing unit so the CD Player doesnt just hang in there with a big empty gap and look all ghetto. Do you know what those are called?

I looked all over google for Camaro CD Housing Unit, not sure what else they are called

Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Overdrive Member

Just an odd question for you... did you just buy this car from a guy named Mike? in Spanaway? If so do you recognise the car in my sig?

Massey

Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

Best buy sells the stereo kit. It's called a dash kit.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

Also when you buy the dash kit get the adaptor for the wiring so that you don't have to splice stock wiring.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey guys,

I got the car in Lake Mary Florida. I just went to Radio Shack and got a universal kit, man it had so many pieces it was a bit confusing, but thats all taken care of.

I gotta find a way to make this car sexier, I am thinking about them SONAR halo lights

Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

if you want to see all of the possibilites and some step by step upgrades, check out the build "sofies official rebuild" and also look into music man's build. both of those 3.8's have been opened up, but there are a lot of things you can do with moderate mechanical ability.

btw, if you want to feel how much power a k&n filter adds, drive it once without an air filter. you wont feel a difference and youll let in only a little bit more dirt

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should check out the sticky in this section called

:How-to and FAQ - Have an issue? Start Here

Musicman did a writeup on where to get started with the 3800 the link is in the above thread. It is more suited for someone just starting out then the major build threads. There is a lot of good info in there.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

First step as always is help it breathe better, engines are air pumps. Intake, headers, exhaust, tune, that's base 1. From there, there's not really an end to what you can do to these things.

Quick Reply: What Are Some Good Upgrades?