93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

HELP!!! Still can't get my car to go into gear!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Default HELP!!! Still can't get my car to go into gear!!!

OK, I just bought this car (95 V6 3.4) and the guy said it needed a new clutch. I have changed the entire clutch assy, installed a new slave and master cylinder, and my car still won't go into any of the gears, and grinds when I try to put it into reverse! I'm at the end of my rope with this thing, and I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice. Oh, and now the clutch pedal feels really spongy when depressed, which I'm assuming means there is air in the lines. My boyfriend doesn't know much about cars either, and he says he doesn't see the bleeder screw mentioned in the installation directions that came with the master cylinder.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: HELP!!! Still can't get my car to go into gear!!!

The bleeder screw is down on the trans, on the slave cylinder. You have to bleed it there. Don't pump bleed it, just open the bled screw, slowly press the pedal down and hold it, close the bleed screw, then lift the pedal slowly. Repeat this sequence until you no longer see air bubbles come out, then do 2 or 3 more times just to make sure. Keep the resiviour full or you'll get more air into the system and have to do it all over again.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The grinding into reverse that is normal, there are no sink-rows(sp) in reverse, you can can get rid of that if you sit on the clutch for a little then it goes in. I ground mine going into second once and for like a day it woulnt go into second unless I forced it into first, but woulnt downshift or go from neutral to second, felt as though the gear wasnt even there didnt grind or anyhting pulling or pumping the clutch. Not I dont know your exact thing if it doenst go into any gear, but I would have to say it has something to do with the tranny, but I could be wrong. Thats just my expierience.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Droid

Assuming that everything has been istalled correctly, most likely the clutch is not relesing completely, probably due to air in the system. There are no bleed valves. Bleeding is done by uncapping the fluid reservoir and removing the slave cylinder from its mounting point. At this point, work the slave cylinder by hand using 3/4" strokes, until there are no more bubbles in the fluid reservoir. Put slave cylinder back, check fluid level and put cap back on reservoir.