93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

headers and true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Smile headers and true duals?

Is it possible on a 96 camaro 3800 v6 to install headers and run two pipes instead of using the y pipe that comes with some? this would also be a delete the cat situation. Would that be wise? or do I need to run it with the cat? Thanks I am replacing a head gasket and think while I am in there I am gonna add headers.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

anything is possible, for a price. why not just pick up a cat back like a bola? headers would be good, work on the heads and a little bigger cam would as well. have you done any mods to it?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM
4th Gear Member

Before you dig into the heads, free up some HP with an aluminum driveshaft. Grab yourself a limited slip differential from a V8 car along with some decent gears (depends on if you drive a lot of highway or city). Also an intake. You'll have to tune for the gears and heads+cam will be very costly. Depends on what you want :P

Short answer to your actual question is yes. But it takes time, money, and patience.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think that the whole setup that everyone mentioned is going to be worth more than your whole car. I wouldn't do it, but thats just my opinion. If you have the resources and if you really want to do it, don't let my opinion stop you.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well are you planning on making the parts yourself or paying someone to make the exhaust? Also your going to have to deal with the computer system. You computer has 4O2 sensors and without a cat your going to get a check engine light. It can be "tuned" but the 96 computer does not tune well so you would need to upgrade to a 97 system.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Wow thanks you guys are all awesome! Well here goes...1. Craby, no mods yet, was about to start when the head gasket blew. Have considered the cat-back but I like the rumble, wanted to add headers while I have pipes off anyways... you said work on the heads? What kind of work? Will have them machined but is there something specific I can have done? and what cam would you recommend? 2. Evilkal, I have a auto tranny so that tosses some of those rather wonderful ideas out, I think? and I drive and live in the city. Time and patience, I have i read you could install a spark plug thing for the o2 sensors? will that work on the 96 due to the tuning problems? 3. Buffalo, I love the fact that you state the truth, but I have some connections in the auto industry on parts, and I am doing all the labor myself. And I really love the fact you gave your opinion and stated it as such, I wish my car was black...lol..4. GORN I have read lots of your posts you are one of my heroes, lol. So, I have a custom exhaust guy who will build and bend my pipes , and I read the post on installing a spark plug thing in the pipe for the o2 sensor, so that is what I was planning on. Here is the deal, will i still have to tune if I do that and upgrade to 97 comp? if so I may be out on this whole idea. 5. Liberty, you pay for em ship em to my address and I will send you thie first video of how they sound! Deal? that is a sweet exhaust system, but I would rather buy me another camaro, which my wife is wanting right now anyway since mine is being disassembled. THanks to all you guys! I am learning a lot and this is so much more fun than building model cars.
City

Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

hey bud i say if you want true duels do it. just know you will have low clearance. when it comes to our 4th gens. i love how 1~2 gen guys say what the hell are you doing talking about cat backs or stock anything. and 3rd and 4th gen guys say cat back and y pipe. first thing i did with my 79 camaro was putting long tube headers and true duels with an h pipe.

i cut the cat off my 98 and bolted up a thrush turbo on the y pipe and thats it.. its loud and mean as hell. gona bolt up whats left of the stock exhaust and use one of those 90 degree bends as a turn out to direct the exhaust blast off of the floor panel.

any of the o2 sensors behind the cat or around the cat are there to tell you your cat is working or not. the ones on the exhaust manifold are the ones that meter the EFI setup. i have my o2 sensor dangling up around the trans. got a ses light but ima open up my dash and darken the SES light window. having the code for that sensor doesnt affect anything but annoying you

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Everything I mentioned can be done with an automatic as well. My car is an auto =P

By spark plug thing do you mean an o2 bung? Or an o2 simulator? Just get good o2 sensors =P

Your car can also use the PCM from a 97 Camaro if you really wanna tune your car.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Default Thanks Evil

I kinda thought it might be, I prove my "rookieness". I will def investigate the gear info and check out the options. The spark plug is basically from what i am understanding something the right size you can mount in your new pipes and then install the o2 sensors into them so as not to confuse the comp. I will def be changing out the comp to a 97 for tuning capabilities but I am trying to make some mods without having to do that jus yet due to the whole engine work i am having to do to get her on the road again before dead winter. Thanks Evil, glad to hear you are a auto driver too, will def talk again! thanks!

Quick Reply: headers and true duals?