93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Grinds when shifting into reverse. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Grinds when shifting into reverse. HELP

So every time I shift into reverse it grinds. However, if I shift into 4th or 2nd and then reverse, it doesn't do that. That trick doesn't work if I try to do it with 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Any ideas? Oh and yes its my 1994 3.4 that I'm talking about.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Your clutch is not completely disengauging the plate and it is allowing a little bit of spinning to continue in the tranny. The reason the 4th and 5th then into reverse works is those gears in most manual trannys are in the front of the tranny and are most likely to be turning if the input shaft is still being turned. That or the reverse gear is mated to the 4th or 5th syncro before it goes through the idler shaft. I would look into the clutch instead of the tranny for this problem.

Massey

Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's been like this since I bought it a year ago. Hasn't gotten any worse. If I've driven the car for awhile it doesn't do it. But if it's a cold start it does it. Is this anything I should worry about right now? Or?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Overdrive Member

It could also be some residual spinning in the tranny from having the clutch engauged. Reverse is not on a syncro while all other gears are. All gears are already meshed with the idler shaft except for the reverse gear. You may want to check the fluid level and type. Low fluid can cause gears to spin more than they should when the clutch is pressed in.

Massey

Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok. Thanks for the input. I'll check that out tomorrow morning.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Try stopping first............JK

All kidding aside,give it a second to stop spinning and make sure that clutch is adjusted correctly.
Most times it's a clutch issue but as suggested check that gear oil level as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Y2K
Try stopping first............JK

All kidding aside,give it a second to stop spinning and make sure that clutch is adjusted correctly.
Most times it's a clutch issue but as suggested check that gear oil level as well.
Here's an example. When the car is stopped and in neutral, turned off. I start the car and shift into reverse with the clutch all the was down. It grinds. Now if I shift into 4th gear before shifting into reverse it doesn't grind. I'm not sure if you actually thought I was trying to shift into reverse while moving or what lol. But it does it when I first start the car and shift into reverse...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Overdrive Member

If it does it from a stand still, clutch pushed down from start to enguaging the gear then the clutch is dragging and needs to be addressed.

This could be simple as an adjustment or as bad as your pressure plate is getting weak. I do not know what the proper adjustment is for these clutches but I am sure some one can help you.

Massey

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
If it does it from a stand still, clutch pushed down from start to enguaging the gear then the clutch is dragging and needs to be addressed.
Massey
If it was something wrong with the clutch, wouldn't it do this going into every gear?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by cs_031192
If it was something wrong with the clutch, wouldn't it do this going into every gear?

No, and the reason is the syncros will stop the spinning before enguaging the gears. On the reverse you actually move a gear into place and mesh it with the rest of the gears.

This is usually the first sign of clutch failure. You do know that there are 2 parts to your clutch system, The mechanical and the Hydraulic. Your problems are usually hydraulic in nature.

Massey

Quick Reply: Grinds when shifting into reverse. HELP