93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A few ?? about GM supercharger for guys with more experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default A few ?? about GM supercharger for guys with more experience

I've got a 96 3800 camaro and have given up finding an aftermarket supercharger kits. I deciided to go with a factory unit because if i need to i can get parts from GM.

I have found on ebay a kit that includes everything from the heads up, . A link can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The listing says:
Up for sale is a kit to add a supercharger to a 3800 Series II non supercharged engine.

Included in the kit are the hard parts needed to convert to a supercharged motor setup. This kit includes:
  • heads
  • valve covers
  • lower intake manifold
  • injectors
  • fuel rail
  • supercharger
  • TB (no maf)
  • vac lines
  • idler pullies
  • brackets
  • balancer
You will need to purchase all of the gaskets, fluids, harness upgrade, and torque to yeild bolts as they are not included. You will also need to have your PCM reprogrammed to be able to run the kit.

My question is about the wiring differences between a FWD GTP and a Camaro. Which sensor plug ins are different and how difficult is it to adapt?I contacted the seller and they sell a "harness upgrade kit" to go from NA to SC in the FWD chassis but haven't heard back what all comes with it. He did say that he has had several customers put his kit on camaro's so i know its do-able.

I am aware of the fab work when it comes to the intake elbow and Trottle body setup and am not worried about that yet. I need to be planning ahead when it comes to wiring and harness upgrades.

I realize this question probably pops up alot but i couldn't find any threads in the archives that adresses this particular question, so i thank you in advance for reading this and being patient with me. (please no hate mail) I look forward to talking with someone who's done it before and learning from his experience.

P.S. I will also be upgrading to higher ratio rockers, headers, and an aftermarket smaller pulley on the SC for more boost.... and maybe a little port work.... who knows... i might go crazy

Last edited by midwestdave33; 06-26-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I can't ****in' spell
Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry, It will not fit. In it stock form the throttle body will be sitting about where the radio is. It has been done by atleast one guy but you will need a machine shop for all the custom stuff you will need. for the factory supercharger to work well you need a intercooler. You do not have the hood or cowl height for that.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Sorry, It will not fit. In it stock form the throttle body will be sitting about where the radio is.
Naw really? Didn't i already say i would be relocating the throttle body? If not, I am.
It has been done by atleast one guy but you will need a machine shop for all the custom stuff you will need. for the factory supercharger to work well you need a intercooler. You do not have the hood or cowl height for that.
Yes, it will. I know it can be done without modification to the cowl. I've seen this exact thing done in a mag a few years ago. They use the intake elbow off of a Holden Monero to relocate the throttle body to the drivers side of the engine. And yes i am fully aware of the machine shop being needed. Matter of fact i am a (mechanical) engineering student and instead of tracking down the australian monero part (they had RWD supercharged 3800's) i was going to design a intake elbow with my CAD software and simply have it cast at my local foundry and machined at the machine shop up the street. (I live within 5 blocks of each) I have no plans of adding a intercooler....Like i said my only questions are concerning the wiring.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am a Manufacturing engineer whos job was to trains young design engineers how design parts and the cost of those parts. Care to guess how much the custom elbow will cost you?

You design your elbow in CAD. Thats the easy parts. Takes maybe 2-3 hours. Then you will need a 3D printing of the of your design. The fondry can do it. but that will add another $250-$600 to their bill. If you go with a sand casting you will most likely get hit with a foundry min charge of $600. Their QA requirments for every order make it almost impossible to do anything cheap. Now you take it to a machine shop. To face it off and drill and tap 4 holes in a manual bridgeport type machine will take about 2.5 hours. You will need to do that twice . Once on both side. So that is about 5 hours total. Most shops are around 85 per hour. So your adapter is going to cost you atleast $1000. More likely $1500.

All that for 40 HP? You would be a lot better off with a tig welder and a drill press.

Your existing wiring harness will work.. You just need the computer tuned and you should upgrade your MAP sensor the L67 style. You should also upgrade your injectors.

It has been talked about many times on this site. With the compression in these motors you can not put much boost to them without an intercooler. That is why no one is trying to do what you want to do. If you research it you will also find its simple not worth it. Unless you are just doing if for bragging right. In which case please do a build thread here.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Gorn,
Thank you for the economics lesson. I have considered the costs involved but, Duely noted. (I can get my school to prototype it for me.. already asked. "class project." And my best friends father owns the foundry. won't be near that expensive...) I don't jump into projects without considering $$. I will take your thoughts into consideration. I like the tig welded idea. Kudos. Choosing the right material might give a sleaker look... Hmmm... Its nice to meet a guy in a somewhat related field.

How about we both try and be a bit less snarky. I'll try not to be insulted when you assume i haven't thought things through and you try not to assume im some dumb punk who just started turning wrenches. I worked as a line mechanic for 5 years in HS and first 2 years of college.

I read your build thread. Nice mpg #'s

And lastly, Its not all about horsepower... I mean lets face it: I coulda just bought a v8. Sometimes its about being unique and doing something few people have done. Ya know? And with the new pully that should be closer to 60-65hp. Plus whatever gains rockers and headers will net, i ain't gonna speculate about that...

Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You have to understand we get the supercharger question about twice a month. 90% of the guys that post the question can carry all their tools in a small tool box in one hand. Most do not have access to equipment like we do. I have thought about doing the same thing, I am also a 5 axis CNC programmer. I could machine the thing from a solid on a Sunday .

By the way what CAD system you working with? I am getting use to Solidworks 2010. I was using Pro E two years ago but I am liking the Solidworks. I do a lot of design of machining & assembly fixtures.

BTW: I have a full model of an old school Small block engine assemly if you have need. It is correct for outside dimension only.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You have to understand we get the supercharger question about twice a month. 90% of the guys that post the question can carry all their tools in a small tool box in one hand. Most do not have access to equipment like we do. I have thought about doing the same thing, I am also a 5 axis CNC programmer. I could machine the thing from a solid on a Sunday .

By the way what CAD system you working with? I am getting use to Solidworks 2010. I was using Pro E two years ago but I am liking the Solidworks. I do a lot of design of machining & assembly fixtures.

BTW: I have a full model of an old school Small block engine assemly if you have need. It is correct for outside dimension only.
I know, I'm a member of several other non car related forums and nothing is more frustrating. Hence the no-hatemail line in the OP.

Im jealous of the 5 axis capability. I've seen what those things can do and its amazing.

I use Pro-E for the most part. Have it on my personal laptop.. But i have to admit its not the best program. I'm looking forward to solidworks 2010. My school is upgrading this summer and i will be heading back in the fall, and i've been told that its MUCH more user friendly. If so thank god! HAHA, i hear ya on the tools thing. I know kids in my small town who fit your description. Between me and my father (and those he inherited from granddad) our tools take up 1/2 of a two car garage! I bet you can sympathize based on your car build thread. (Unless you've switched locations?)

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Why wont my signiture pic show? Its under the max size requirements... WTF?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think there is a min post requirment.

Depending on the version Pro E is pretty good. When I was with Tyco I used ProE wildfire 2 I think. Its very easy to switch back and forth. Only minor differents. ProE is a little less forgiving. Now Pro-Manufacturing is not very good.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In 2006 i started learning with pro E wildfire 2.0, Now i have 4.0 and although it is better than 2 there are some things that are unnecessarily troublesome. Like sweeps for example. We had a textbook for 4.0 in my CAD class last semester. It was the WORST tutorial i have ever seen. My professor couldn't even get it to work following the tutorial. Me and several other guys just decided to toss the book and complete the work using our own methods. Eventually my professor tossed the book out and we finished the semester doing projects he had to do for his masters degree. So, yeah, i can't wait to dive into solidworks 2010.

Lets see if i can get the pic to show.

Quick Reply: A few ?? about GM supercharger for guys with more experience