93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Electrical Issue with 2002 V6 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Unhappy Electrical Issue with 2002 V6 Camaro

We have a 2002 V6 Camaro, done a bit over 140,000 miles that has just this Winter developed a problem when turning it on on a cold dark Michigan morning.

Normally when the key is put in and turned to the On position, the heater fan and the headlights come on, then move the key to the Start position to start the car.

But now on cold mornings (this morning was -6°F outside, but probably above 0°F in the garage) when the key is in the On position, the heater fan and the headlights do not come on. The car will start OK, and then often, but not always, the heater fan and headlights will come on and everything seems normal. But sometimes, even if left to run for 5 minutes, the heater fan and lights won't come on. Turning the car off and restarting it will sometimes clear this condition.

This morning was even more odd - the first time I started it, in addition to the heater fan and headlights not being on, the Fuel Gauge wasn't registering, and both the Service Engine and Check Gauges lights were on. Turned it off and on restart the fuel gauge was working and the 2 lights were out, but heater fan and headlights weren't on. On the 3rd start finally the heater fan and headlights came on after about a minute running.

It doesn't seem to be a voltage issue - the voltmeter clicks up to a good voltage soon after the engine is running, but the lights and heater fan will stay off even after the alternator is at full voltage.

I'm wondering if there's a relay somewhere that isn't working reliably now that might be causing this.

One thing I haven't yet done is go around and clean all the ground connections, which I guess is a possibility.

Does anyone know enough about the electrical system to suggest where the problem might be? Which particular relays to look at?

Thanks!

Roger

Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep and pull and clean all your fuses. try testing for power at the fuse box to see if power is getting there put not to the lights/heater

Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like condensation is getting on your electronics. This could lead to deposits that will cause undesired operation. The electronics inside the car are not weather proof and will corrode and otherwise not operate properly if they get too much moisture in them. The electronics on the outside of the car are all weather sealed so the PCM and other goodies under the hood should be OK.

Try leaving a desicant moisture absorber in the car, or find a way to heat the garage.

Massey

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds to me like a dash ground issue to me. The very cold causes metal to shrink and can cause a already loose connection to get looser.