93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Electrical/Ignition problems (wont start, period)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Electrical/Ignition problems (wont start, period)

so i drive a 2001 3.8L 5 speed manual Camaro, bone stock just to let you guys know what im working with. i got off work tonight it was a pretty heavy rain and i normally dont drive in this heavy rain but it started up just fine, so i drove to my friends house because i wanted them to edit my college essay for me. went out to start back up, now i turn on the electronics and buckle up then start my engine. So i turned the electronics on and buckled up and then pushed the clutch in and turned the key, everything died. I figured the battery just died or i left a light on somewhere/something. so we jumped it, no good didnt do anything not even a starter noise, so we did it with another car only to get the same problem. so any ideas anyone?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Electrical/Ignition problems (wont start, period)

I'm quite sure your vehicle has a side terminal battery. Sometimes corrosion forms between the inside of the terminal head and the battery and you won't be able to see it. If this happens then jumping will be a problem because the corrosion will prevent you from having a good connection. Try removing both terminals and see if there is some white corrosion between your cable terminal head and battery. If so clean it with a wire brush. Also do a visual check on the rest of your cable to see if the other ends are loose, cracks or broken. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

check the connection where the hotwire hooks up to the starter. Sick

Old 10-22-2006, 01:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

we ran two fresh batteries across it though, would the corroision still affect it? my dad said it sounded iffy but, im going to go check it out in awhile and see if it dried out and starts. any body have any other suggestions? during trying to jump it i couldnt get anything to turn on either, not even my cabin lights or voltometer anything. i dont think push startign it would do anything since its not getting the power, its starting to sound like a short to me but im hoping not.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Droid

By any chance, is the security light lit?

Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so we went and checked it out, it is anti-theft related but its not a stock system, it cuts into the electrical and ignition. so my neighbor suggested removing the battery for a few minutes and seeing if it resets. Like when i turn the key, the oil pressure gauge goes to 0 when its otherwise in the middle, the cabin lights dont even light up anymore so thats how i know its attached to the electrical system too. so since its goign to end up going into a shop anyways, how much roughly do you think it will cost to have this thing removed?

and Z28Pete, nothing lights up on the dash so its not on, dunno if that helps at all.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

solution: i disconnected the positive battery terminal which had the anti-theft attached to it, reconnected everything but that and it started and then reconnected that and it seems to have reseted, i drove it back to my place so its fine for now. I'm just afraid it will act up again because it had no reason to go off last night. so for future reference if anyone has an odd looking anti-theft system in their car, just disconnect it haha. thank you to everyone who shot me ideas, its greatly appreciated.