67 Electrical - Won't start sometimes after a ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Default 67 Electrical - Won't start sometimes after a ride

I have a 67 convertible, 327, 2 speed, electronic msd ignition. Pretty basic model and a great ride when she is feeling frisky. The problem is I don't know when I will run into trouble after a ride around the town. Sometimes when I turn off the vehicle and come back after a few minutes to start her up, she won't start. When the key turns she doesn't turn over, not a sound. My turn signals will work, lights will come on, etc. but no power to the starter. I just replaced the starter and the solenoid hoping this would turn things around, still every once in a while she won't start. If she gets a jump start all is good for awhile until she feels neglected again and then we are back at square one. No amount of buffing/polishing will get her to start.

Without ripping out all her wiring and giving her a total makeover, I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

I am new to this forum and any help from you veterans would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can return the favour one day.

Thank you in advance,
Tim

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you say no power to the starter, are you going by the fact that it doesn't turn over, or did you actually check at the starter with a meter? GM's can have a problem called "starter heat soak" where excessive engine heat affects the solenoid and makes the starter act like it's dead. Having headers can make the matter even worse. Another contributor, is that a lot of guys would just toss that "useless" starter heat shield when replacing the starter. If you do have power, and are getting heat soak, try installing a heat shield if yours is off.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Default I'm on it

Great advice... I actually have a meter in the car and will check next time this happens. The heat shield is definitely not there so you may be onto the problem.

Having said that, are there after market starters out there that have addressed this problem? You would think if this has been a plague for GM they (or someone else) would have come up with a solution/superior starter.

Thanks again and love your ride.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're welcome, and thanks!
This is about the best fix, if a heat shield doesn't do the trick: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1750/

Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Default I have the identical problem...

I have the identical probablem on a 67 Conv 327.. Starts at home every time.. Get to your destination and it wont start.. I don't think it is a heat issue because i get to work at 9am and go to start it at 6pm and it wont start... I have power at the starter. I checked it.. I thout it had something to do with the neutral safety switch.. It was a powerglide car that has a 3 speed in it now.. I used to be able to grind drive a bit while starting and it would start but may of been a coincidence... Last time it stopped in my driveway and I had to walk away for 3 hours and it started which would make you think its a heat issue.. Its driving me nuts and i dont want to drive it anywhere.. If Anyone had similar issues or found a cure let me know.. May just be a neutral switch but i dont even know wether to order one for a 3-speed 350 or powerglide or are they the same.... Please help.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM

The bulkhead connector could be your problem.. The 12 gauge purple wire that runs from the ignition switch to the S terminal on the starter. At the bulkhead connector there is a gease that I assume is for corrosion. I have found the starter wire that the grease has melted over the years and now the connection can act up. It is a easy fix. Unbolt the connector, pull it apart and clean it with brakeclean and a wire brush. Be sure to disconnect the battery first.