93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Cranks but won't start / no dash warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Appreciate all the feedback guys. There are few things that I despise more than wiring and vehicular computers, so I decided to drop it off at my local mechanic who specializes in computers and all that. He seemed pretty perplexed by the situation after having the car for a little while and says he is unable to communicate with ANY of the computers... PCM, ABS, etc. and while there is fuel going to the rails the injectors aren't getting a pulse.

He's gonna do some more troubleshooting and see what he can find. As far as any sand or residual effects of a flood, I was unable to find any. Still doesn't rule it out though.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Still thinking grounds here. Or at least referance voltage. In order to get a data signal the injectors or data link will need a +5v or +12v signal. Injectors 12v and the datalink gets +5v. If there is a floating voltage on the ground circuit you may not get enough of a difference in potential to get a logic "1" and thus you dont get any data nor injector pulses. In automotive systems the referance voltage is 0v at ground.

You could try to unplug every engine sensor and every thing except the PCM to the dash (remove the instrument cluster as well) and see if you get data from the PCM. If you do then start plugging things back in one at a time and see if the signal dies. If it does then the last thing you plugged in is the cause of your floating ground.(if that is the issue anyway). Things to look for as major suspects are injectors, ICM, BCM, Thottle body, and MAF. These devices all have a +12 input at all times and if there is an internal short in one of the devices it can backfeed a voltage onto the ground causing the exact issue you have.

Massey

Last edited by Massey; 08-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
Still thinking grounds here. Or at least referance voltage. In order to get a data signal the injectors or data link will need a +5v or +12v signal. Injectors 12v and the datalink gets +5v. If there is a floating voltage on the ground circuit you may not get enough of a difference in potential to get a logic "1" and thus you dont get any data nor injector pulses. In automotive systems the referance voltage is 0v at ground.

You could try to unplug every engine sensor and every thing except the PCM to the dash (remove the instrument cluster as well) and see if you get data from the PCM. If you do then start plugging things back in one at a time and see if the signal dies. If it does then the last thing you plugged in is the cause of your floating ground.(if that is the issue anyway). Things to look for as major suspects are injectors, ICM, BCM, Thottle body, and MAF. These devices all have a +12 input at all times and if there is an internal short in one of the devices it can backfeed a voltage onto the ground causing the exact issue you have.

Massey
Smart man. What you described regarding unplugging everything and plugging in one at a time is exactly what the mechanic said he was going to do. When he did that, he found there was nothing from the PCM so replaced it. Said he is able to get data from it now. Said something about the cluster and he replaced that, too and now all the warning lights come on with the key in 'ON' unlike before. He says he wasn't able to get it to turn over afterwards, and that was a couple days ago. He seems to know what he's talking about.

Since the car doesn't have the original PCM nor gauge cluster anymore it's safe to say whatever mileage displayed is not true to the car. Correct?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am pretty sure the miles stay with the cluster. Does that matter on a R title car?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How I understood it to work, is the PCM stores the mileage, and updates the odometer, which is also stored in memory in the cluster. And if a different gauge cluster is installed, which would naturally have non matching mileage stored, then the odometer wouldn't work and you would need to have the dealer reprogram your system. Not positive if this is a GM wide procedure, so hopefully martz0r will have an update with his results.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Overdrive Member

69, this is how new clusters work today but I'm not sure if it did back then. I do know the cluster does have a memcal chip for keeping mileage data but I don't know if it syncs that data with the PCM. When I sell a PCM at work for these cars they have to be programmed but the sheet does not ask for the mileage just the cars vin. But the issue the OP is having now could be a mismatch from the BCM, cluster and PCM. I know our cars will not start with the BCM unplugged.

Massey

Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Default 2000 camaro: fuel issues?

fuel Open Question
2000 Camaro fuel pump/ fuel filter/ and fuel pressure regulator all replaced, still no gas getting to the motor.. mechanic is stumped, don't know what it is.. my car started getting harder than normal to start, than I heard a grinding noise when turning the key instead of buzzing that it normally does. than I was driving, the car died completely, was able to get it started about an hour later, made it home, and it died again, wouldn't start til the next morning.. than the next day, drove to walmart, died again. was towed to the shop, they said there was no noise coming from fuel pump, so shop replace the fuel pump, and car still would not start, shop then replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and the car still will not stay running, the mechanic is saying no fuel getting to the injectors, said the valve that you check the fuel pressure from isn't even getting gas.. he is stumped now, doesn't know why fuel is not getting to the motor, meantime, I have ended up with a huge repair bill, now I am starting to wonder if my car even needed a fuel pump, or regulator................

Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Overdrive Member

you can bypass the fuel pump relay which would takethe security system out of the system and allow the car to start, and for fuel to make it to the rails. Do not leave this bypassed, you dont want to leave the pump running. If the pump runs with the relay bypassed, check the relay, if it is good look into the BCM and other components of the security system.

Another side note here. GM has a system build into the systems of these cars where you can put the engine in disgnostic mode by putting the petal to the floor before turning the key to the "ON" position. This allows for crank testing with out the spark and fuel systems working. If your petal sensor is not right you could be accidently putting the vehicle in diagnostics mode and this would prevent the engine from starting. Look at the petal sensor (resolver)

Massey

Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dgbvacamaro, no duplicate posts please. makes it easier for everyone. massey is this something that the bcm reflow with help on?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Overdrive Member

No craby. The BCM only gives the PCM the go/nogo signal if the security system is ok or not ok. This is done with a +5v signal to the PCM through a chip not a relay

The diagnostic mode is controlled through the PCM only when it reads the petal sensor at power up

Massey

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't start / no dash warning lights