93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Considering PaceSetter Headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Considering PaceSetter Headers ?

Ok, i've seached the forum archives and can't find one that answers my particular question so i thought I would start a new thread.

I am considering a set of pacesetter headers for my 96 3800 V6 Camaro. What i want to know is if they are worth the investment? Specifically can anyone tell me how much of an increase in HP and TQ i can expect? (or direct me to somewhere or someone) that has the info or dyno results.

My car is virtually stock except for the following:

SLP cold air intake.
PCMforless Performance tune.
3.23 rear gears.
One piece aluminum driveshaft from a SS.
A 2 1/2" inlet performane muffler with stock configuration 2 1/4" Z28 tailpipes and tips.

I would most likely be upgrading to either:

a 2 1/2" in and out converter and a stock Z28 2 1/2" Mainpipe.

OR: a 3" in and out converter and an aftermarket 3" mainpipe.

Depending on the outlet size on the PaceSetter Headers. Also, what problem could i expect when installing them? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

pacesetters are very nice for the price i dont know what youll get for power but with a 3 inch pipe setup im sure you wont be disappointed ive asked about them and a few ppl have told me they love them ive heard there a little frustrating to install because of the windshield coming out so far but all in all not to bad

Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I absolutly couldn't believe it when i started searching and couldn't find ANY HP and TQ number gains. I searched every supplier and forum i could find and still got nota. It got me to wondering if they upgrade was really worth the money.

I traded off a sweet *** 89 chevy pickup for my 96 3800 when i started college. 16-18mpg was killing me in my truck. I am nocking down low to mid 20's with my car now at just under 100K miles. I am also concerned about the egr hookup problems related to the headers i've read about in other threads on this forum. How common are egr problems? I bought the car for gas milage and i really dont want to kill it. Thats why i refuse to do any internal mods.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Why not Long Tubes?

Click on V6 Fbody LTs, if you want a little more than Pacesetter offers, dyno charts at link below:

http://www.force-fed-fabrications.com/index2.htm

Also, Borla's 3.8 Cat-Back is 3-in. from the S-Pipe back, not sure they make one for the '96, but newer ones may be adaptable...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I get between 30-32 MPG on the highway in the summer time. I do not think to many people compete with V6's that is why you do not see a lot of dyno info out there. Depending on where you live two dyno pulls could cost as much or more then the headers.

The stock 96 exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, The factory did a redesign in 01. I bought my 96 with a blown motor so I have never driven it without headers. I did have some issues with the EGR valve but I found that is I used the neck for an 02 everything bolted up with only a little "tweaking". My headers are the OBX. I am told they are a pacesetter copy just in Stainless.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Why not Long Tubes?
1. I didn't know they were out there. Thank you.
2. I want to hook them up to factory eqpt egr, O2 sensors etc. Are they compatable?
3. Was trying to avoid completly changing the layout of exhaust. Also need cats to pass street inspection... I think its pretty difficult to put duals all the way out the back of the car. right? how would you do it?
4. Limited budget. (disability) How much are they? and the turbo kits? didn't see on the website...

Click on V6 Fbody LTs, if you want a little more than Pacesetter offers, dyno charts at link below:

http://www.force-fed-fabrications.com/index2.htm

Also, Borla's 3.8 Cat-Back is 3-in. from the S-Pipe back, not sure they make one for the '96, but newer ones may be adaptable...

again, might be out of my price range....?

Last edited by midwestdave33; 05-23-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: new with the format...
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the price really aint that bad, and the sounds is not to bad either.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Not sure about all the details, email Tiago Salies <tiago94fb@hotmail.com> from FFF for more info...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure about all the details, email Tiago Salies <tiago94fb@hotmail.com> from FFF for more info...

Thanks 1776. I was a step ahead of you on that one... Just thought you may know out of shere luck.

Of course, spending some time on the website i now have "turbo fever" since powerdyne DISCONTINUED the supercharger for my car!!! The Bastards! GRRRR

I'm much more of a supercharger guy... (like the sound better...) But hey, HP is HP righht?

Last edited by midwestdave33; 05-23-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: had an afterthought...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I heard clearing the steering knuckle can be tight (?). Couldn't hurt to have your car exhale a little better, but value might depend on how much money is laying around in one's bank account right? I'd like to do OBX or Pacesetter sometime, its just not as high on the list as keeping-the-car-running items right now.

Quick Reply: Considering PaceSetter Headers ?