93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

coil pack vibration/rattling noise???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Default coil pack vibration/rattling noise???

the plate my coil packs are mounted on make a weird vibrating/rattling sound when the car is idling. i believe it is hitting the valve cover, it goes away when i hold my hand on the coils and press or pull a little and it does not make the sound when i give it gas. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and or knows how to fix it. its on a 97 firebird 3800. its a really annoying sound.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Check if your coils and ICM are tight. It wouldn't hurt to check contact points for corrosion and to apply dielectric grease on them too.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Check make sure everything is snugged down, that's an odd problem. Do they move at all if you try to wiggle them?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM

the coils are not what is rattling/vibrating. its the metal thing that they are mounted on, and yes, that thing moves a little. there is like a half inch play or so, and the bolts are tight, really tight. it is a really obnoxious sound. and i believe it is hitting against that valve covers do you understand what i am talking about? sorry, but i am not very good at explaining stuff like this.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yup, I know what you're talking about. Let me do some research for ya and see what I turn up. But my first thought is that if it's moving the wrong bolts are in there, but it might be something else, I'll hunt around.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

No luck on the internet stuff, let me take a peak under the hood in the morning.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 AM

thanks for looking in to it for me i really appreciate it!!! and just a reminder of what crap luck i have, i let my dad burrow my car for like a half hour earlier tonight and it came back to me with the drivers side window not functioning properly it goes up all cockeyed and sideways unless u hold it in place. now i have to look in to that tomorrow too... the passenger side needs a window motor... just my luck. but thanks for looking in to that for me tho

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks like there's 2 studs, and 1 bolt. Make sure the studs are turned in all the way, and that the bolt is tight.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM

hm... weird... looks like i am missing the bold and the bracket that it bolts to. i wonder what happened to it. i know the car has not always made this sound. i wonder if i can buy one or if i have to track one down from a junkyard or something. thanks a lot for your help. i am really glad to know that i am missing that peice

Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Overdrive Member

That is weird, because I don't have that brace on mine (took, and left it off), and mine doesn't do that. The two main studs hold it on there just fine. Everything is snug as well.

Quick Reply: coil pack vibration/rattling noise???