93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

cars still misfireing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cars still misfireing

just got my brand new clutch installed got all excited, and my car is still misfireing, i guess i forgot how frusterating it is to drive sometime,, its a 99 3.8L , i've messed w/ the wires and plugs so much i'm lost for what could be the problem, im about to just replace all the wires and plugs unless theres another thing it could be? =/

Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: cars still misfireing

Is the check engine lit or flashing?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

could be a coil pack

Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah idk,i drive around with it fine, no problems, but once i push a little past half on the gas pedal, it will start sputtering and pissing me off, seems like if it were the plugs and wires it'd do it no matter what, not just when i step on the gas a little harder

and no my check engine light doesnt come on unless it misfires for awhile, but once it starts i useually get off the gas andtake it easy the rest of the way, i havent been able to see my cars full potential inabout 6 months... i really dunno whatcould bewrong with it ,when i went toget it inspected they said 2nd cylinder wasmisfireing...so i got new plug and wire, passed inspection, stepped on the gassomewhat hard, andboom back to misfire

Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: cars still misfiring

First, get the car scanned for active and retained codes. I guess you already checked out the ignition, but you may still want to get the coil pack and the ignition module tested. Another possibility is that the engine is not getting enough fuel or air,so you may want to replace the fuel filter,theair filter, and check the fuel pressure and pressure regulator. You may also want to do a back pressure test & see if the cat is clogged.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i just freshly cleaned my cold air intake, it could be the fuel filter, i thought abotu that , i guess im just hopeing its not lol

Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's your coil pack, Stock ones are crap [:@]. It's happend to me twice, i went throught the exact same thing you did, i checked every thing, changed spark plugs wires, all filters and same misfire[:'(], took it to a pro shop and was told that piston #6 was misfireing, took all coil packs off and tested and they tested good. So i decided to buy one and test it on the #6 piston coils and it worked. The coll packs dont completely mis fuction(or burn out)so you can't diagnose the resistance variance in them, but under load they misfire wich explains your misfireing when over half throtle. The second time it happend on #2 and once again i bought a coil pack and skiped the wires and plugs. buy a coil pack and try it the only bad thing is that if for some foresaken reason it isn't that, they usually don't take electronic parts back for refund or exchange.
But ITS YOU COIL PACK

Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi had misfire problems on my 96 3.8. Ifcode comes up as a specific cyclander its coil pack. If it comes up as random multiple misfire its ignition coil pack. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM

I've seen this problem in a lot of 3.8L camaros, and they all, including mine, have the same of 3 problems. 1) The most common is the spark plug wires. They seem to be very sensitive to high temperatures. So, when installed, make sure that do not touch any part of the engine (head, valve cover, intake, exhaust, etc.). Once they are exposed to enough heat, they become no good. This could happen within a matter of hours. 2)Second most commonare the ignition coils.They good bad, but not as easily. Engine bay heat also causes their demise. However, they can take more heat then the spark plug wires. 3) Cracked Spark plug. Sometimesduring installation or do to stress, the spark plug canget cracked. Theway the test this is to start your car and pop your hood at night.If a spark plug is cracked, you will be able to see the the arch between the plug and theengine block. If this is the problem, replace both plugs and wires, becausethe heat from arching can damage the wires.