93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car won't start after accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Default Car won't start after accident

Last week I bought my brother's 96 5spd v6. It has been sitting for 8 months since my brother was run off the road. He slid along the side of the road through some 4x4s that were buried in the ground. He took them out with the front of his car at 60MPH. I fixed the suspension stuff that was damaged but now I can't get the car to start. It will crank but won't turn over. I haven't had time to diagnose it yet, I should have time to do that tonight, but before I do that I have a few specific questions.

1. Do these cars have some sort of fuel cutoff button or switch that I need to reset?

2. Barring that, whats the best way to check that I'm getting fuel to the engine?

3. It was raining when he slid off the road so there is a good amount of mud in the engine compartment. Is it possible something could be clogged causing it to not start?

I'm going to check for spark, and then fuel but thats the extent of my knowledge. Is there anything else I need to check?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Car won't start after accident

I dont know if this helps at all, but i have an uncle who owns a built 83 el camino that he let sit in his garage for about a year. When we went to visit him my uncle, brother and i tried to start it. It obviously had a fuel problem (we dont know why) because there was no fuel reaching the carburator. I dont know how that could translate to fuel injection but maybe the pump is broke, have you checked the lines? I'm only 16 and only relay information, i dont really know any of it so sorry if this doesnt help.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM

I'm almost 100% positive my brother tried to start the car right after he went of the road and it wouldn't start so I don't think the problem is related to sitting for 8 months, but I'll have to call him and double check that. Thats why I was wondering if there was a cutoff switch for the fuel pump that the accident may have triggered. I didn't have time yesterday to do anything but try to start it. I'm going to check for spark and fuel tonight. I was just wondering if there was anything else, maybe specific to Camaros that I needed to look out for as well. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Tech Droid

Check the fuel pressure at the FI rack. Due to the acident some wires may have broken or fuel lines pinched,some sensors may have disconnected.