93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car is sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Car is sputtering

It could be your fuel pump. both of you take your car to like an auto zone and have them test your coil pcks and either get new plug wires or check them out. Many people have this problem. If its not either one of them then resort to checking your fuel pump,filter etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Haven't tested my coil packs -- how long do they usually last? It's something to try...

The fuel pump could be bad, but the plugs and wires seem ok, as this is only a starting problem, no problems when driving...

Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If its only a starting problem you should check your spark plugs because you may need new ones. what year and engine do you have?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Yea, plugs? I just replaced the wires in '02, and probably did the plugs in '00 or '02...

'95 3.4l V6

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear member

If it were indeed a coil pack, he could simple swap two packs to see of the misfire follows his moves. If so, it's a coil pack. If not, try the plug, wire, and possibly an ignition module. Plue wires are the easiest fix, so I'd start there.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well seings how its been 5 years since you changed the plugs? that could be the problem. I hear you should change them every 3-4 oil changes but in a camaro its kind of hard to get at them but then again thats what i hear and thats not always right. cuz it seems like your car ir rolling over just not starting. So its either a fuel pump issue(taking 3 tries to get some fuel into te engine)or spark plugs(they arent sparking and lighting the fuel). when it starts does it kinda rev realy high for a second like its burning extra fuel or does it just start and act normal?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear member

The fuel pump is not in control of fuel consumption. During a cold start, the engine is starting by a basic set of computer presets. It is relying on only a few sensors, rather than the entire system, to get it going. Almost all of our cars will idle a little higher on cold starts to help the vehicle enter closed loop mode. Sluggish O2 sensors and even faulty ones are the most common cause of permanent open loop, which may cause terrible fuel economy. Anyhow, a fuel pump will not have a 'hit and miss' problem. Either it's faulty, or it's not (unless, of course, there's an intermittent short, but I feel that it's highly unlikely). You could, however, have a fuel pressure regulator problem/fuel pressure check valve problem. I'm not sure how Chevrolet designed this system, whether the vehicle maintains fuel pressure when off with an internal fuel pump check valve or if the regulator maintains pressure. I'd recommend you take a fuel pressure reading during cranking, while running, and do a pressure drop test. Have the pressure gauge tapped into the test port and turn the engine off. The pressure should leak down, but at a very slow rate. If it drops to zero quickly, you may have found your problem. The next time you try to start and it seems hesitant, try priming the fuel pump, that is, turning the key on until the fuel pump whirring stops, turning the key off, and repeating a few more times. Try starting it after a few pump cycles, and notice whether it starts easier or not. I really hope this helps. Random problems are the biggest blunder to us all.

EDIT: A spark plug change is recommended by the maintainence schedule at the intervals of every 30,000 miles, or every 24 months (two years). Every three or four oil changes (9,000-12,000 miles) seems a tad overkill

Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Overdrive Member

If the car has been sitting, most of the time it takes 3 tries for the thing to start, sometimes two -- if I just drove it, sometimes it will start right up... very annoying to say the least...

When it starts engine cold, it usually has a little trouble getting going reliably, and then it kicks up the revs for a little bit, then it comes down to normal when it normalizes... It seems to behave different when the engine is warm and I try to start it... mostly starts easier