93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car is sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Default Car is sputtering

I just had my cat. fixed as well as my egr valve cause it was burnt up. my service light is on and when i give it gas it sputters then when i get to a stop it wants to choke out on me im not really good at these type situations, any suggestions

Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: Car is sputtering

Man I am having the exact same thing going on the SES light could possibly be the O2 sensor.. when was the last time you replaced it? probably should just go an get it scanned, but there are about a million possibilities and if your SES light is on it would be alot cheaper to get it scanned rather than go around trying to fix stuff. Also, check your spark plug wires and make sure they arent burnt.. and spark plugs in mine need changing about every 30k -40k so make sure they are all okay. If you figure it out let me know, my SES light isnt on but I got that lovely sputter too.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM

I just had a tune up about 10k ago. plugs & wires were changed. havent checked th 02 sensors. I went to advancedauto and auto zone and they told me they couldnt hook it up to the diagnostic hand held computer, said i needed to take it to the chevy dealer to even find out what was wrong with it. Have any one of you with the 95 model had trouble with this as well.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Yeah, the scanners they have on hand wont read 95 and down... I am fairly sure they sell a kit to do it for 95$ but most shops only charge like 20-25 bucks to scan, of course they will charge tons to actually fix the thing, so just get them to tell you what the code is reading, and fix it yourself... thats what I do every time, probably by now would have been cheaper to buy the $95 scanner, but oh well.. so if you think you are gonna keep the car for a good while I would say buy the scanner, if not just run it by a shop and tell them your SES light is on... they will figure it out and let you know

Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 PM

Oh yeah... DONT TAKE IT TO A DEALER.... THIS IS A BIG NO NO AND LAST RESORT ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 PM
4th Gear Member

sounds like a Coil pack or fuel injector

Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Tech Droid

Take the car to a repair shop & get it scanned, many will do it for $35-50. Cheaper on the long run, than throwing parts at it.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Concur.
And, as in my case, check the fuse for the ENG SENS (20a)

Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How many miles are on the car? what kind of gas do you use if you use regualr all the time and run the car on empy alot cuz your short on gas money your fuel injector could be about gone. Which sucks but the fuel injector sucks up all the little **** in regualr gas which causes it to get plugged and then it has a harder time getting gas through which means it wil eventually burn up.Do you have problems with car starting? Answer these questions and ill get back to you.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Overdrive Member

I have problems with starting, where it may take a few cranks -- almost like it takes the fuel pump a while to get going... The car sometimes over-revs after starting because of the trouble starting, then goes back down to normal...

ORIGINAL: 95camaro
Do you have problems with car starting?

Quick Reply: Car is sputtering