93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car has quickly went to hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default car has quickly went to hell

well my engine light came on yesterday and apparently the fuel pump, and egr valve has took a crap. i have seen the write up on replacing the pump however im not to sure about cutting into the tank to replace it. how difficult is it to replace it the normal way? also what goes into replacing the egr valve? The drivers side window also needs replacing with feel the regulator. i am told that its about 2 grand to have this done and im thinking about fixing it myself but other than changing the plugs wires and oil changes i havent ever really done work to cars. Is this something i being a very novice person can handle. i have the manuel its not chilton dont remember the name. I have access to a full garage with life and apparently im told every tool to rebuild a car almost from scratch but im not really confident in my skills. would it be better to pay someone to fix this or so i give it a go? on a better note the tires came in and wheels they look great and it goes to get painted in 2 days full repaint. it amazing how a car can make u feel like crap when stuff breaks havent slept in 2 days lol just up thinking about it. any ideas or tips would be very appreciated. also 350 for a fuel pump sound about right.. what else would i need to buy?

also im in the army and tryng to find somewhere to learn how to actually work on cars. our local auto shop doesent offer any classes and I sometimes work crazy hour like now working 16 hrs a day. However i really want to learn. where did u guys learn. i dont have anyone here to teach me on the side. and all the classes offered are during my work hours. any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by reaper2702; 02-03-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to replace the fuel pump using the hatch u dont cut a hole in the tank, u cut a hole in the body over the fuel pump so u can access it,much easier than to change it the other way, u will need to drop the exhaust and rearend to get the gas tank out so u have access to the pump.
is the widow glass broken? i just replaced my regulator and motor. found a oem set for a little over a hundred bucks on ebay from the partslad. there not that hard to install. need a pop rivet gun for 1/4 in size though.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Get your car scanned -- what code(s) are you getting? What year car?

Here's a couple Camaro pump replacement guides:
http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

Maybe you should sign up for an extended warranty for your car -- might save you a lot of $ in the long run...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 02-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking a lot of work done

ok so i fixed the window motor today and the egr valve. fixed the fuel pump TY for the great writeups. between the posts here and the hanes manuel it was painful but i got it done. I also found the short in my alarm system today. amazing how i bad wire can do so much to drive you nuts. today was prolly the best day yet owning this car. I really got a sense of accomplishment. now a few questions. is there a special device to balance and allign 20in wheel as opposed to regular 16-18's. i called firestone and they want to charge me about 120 dollars to do it. im wondering if i can do it myself but they said u need a special device. are they full of it or are they serious? I am also looking at HID lights. do the lights fit into the light casings already on the car or should it come with new casings as well ? i really dont know alot about them and ive been reading but nothing camaro specfic is to be found. i appreciate you help talk to ya soon oh goes in the shop tommarow for painting dang rs frnt lip was 500 dollars GM getting their money worth even after the fact lol.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Overdrive Member

Having GM paint your car = $ better spent at a more economical shop...