93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

broken exhaust manafold stud

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default broken exhaust manafold stud

well i found on my drivers side manafold the first top stup tht also holds on the exhaust manafold heat shield is broken...i took off the heat shield and it's broken right at the exhaust manafold nut

now when i start my car it runs really ruff and at idle sometimes it soulds like it's gonna stal(started as soon as i took off the heat sheild and remove thebrokeing half of the stub)and it has a horrible tick or clack kindof both...

the checkengine light blinks as soon as the car is started i have'nt even drove it since i took off the heats shield so i have'nt got the code check'd and i dont know if i can drive it like this...

my question is can i drive my car somewhere to get it lookd ator is it not safe to drive in this condition...

someone please help and anyone who has had this problem what did u do...iam guessing i'll have to take it somehwere and get the stud removed and i new one put in..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: broken exhaust manafold stud

the tick is because there is a small exhaust leak, its ok to drive but you need to get it taken care of soon

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

how come at idle it wants to die or it stumbles....

also it has been broken for awhilecause i've had a lil tick for awhile and it would go away afterlike 1-2 min...thts what got me digin around the exhaust manafold..
but now it runs way worse and the tickin is way worse and dnt go away after warm up like it used to....

so does anyone who this has happen to them (exhaust manafold stubbreaking) know how much it might cost to fix the stub...just tryin to see before i make some calls....

thanks for any input..........

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

also any one who has done this before know of a good way to get the broken exhaust manafold stud out?

ima try and do this myself cause i dnt have the funds to take it somewhere...

i've got the gaskets so i just need'd remove the driverside manafold and remove the broken stud and replace and then install the new gasket and reinstall the manafold back...

does any body have any good tip or tricks or any input on this....

thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

cost will depend on where the stud is broken, if its right down to the head then you need to take it to a machine shop to get it drilled & tapped........but if there is some length on it still, you might be able to get it out(have to take the manifold off to get at it) and it SHOULD screw out.

Ihave done a few of these before

Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ya it broke right at the outside edge of the manafold...so iam in the middle of talkin the manafold off right now.... after i take off the manafold iam thinkin i'll be able to somehow get ahold of the brokein stud and hopefuly be able to get it out.........some of the just the bolts came off the front studsand the rear 2 studs came out completly (are the suppost to)...and the freakin oil dipstick is in my way of the 3 bolt...

Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

please help does anybody know the exhaust manafold stud size...i went to get a new one and the discount auto parts doesnt know what sizes it is and i cant find it on alldata