Broken exhaust manifold bolt-how to remove

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Broken exhaust manifold bolt-how to remove

Well, it seems I have two of these on the driver's side of my 95Z. Not sure if anyone has had to deal with this but I could not find a previous thread.

The ones broken are the front and rear bolts on that side.

The space is limited but I figure I could possibly get an angle pneumatic drill there with a shortened drill bit.

I have not removed the manifold so I do not know if they broke flush or not.

I would like to avoid dropping the engine for this.

Any suggestions?

thanks

jim

Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Overdrive Member

pull the manifolds for better viewing and access. You may be lucky and they broke flush with the manifolds and not the heads. If you have enough thread to grab on to with vicegrips or a stud remover then great but use some PB Blaster or other quality penetrating oil on the things first.

Massey

Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is the exhaust manifold leaking? If it's not, I'd leave well enough alone for now. Or do you have other exhaust plans in mind (headers)?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Heat can also work wonders, but with the heads still in the car, I would avoid using anything resembling an open flame.

If they broke off flush with the manifold, you should have enough left to get some vise grips on. Just give the broken bolt a liberal dousing of PB Blaster (or similar) and let it sit overnight. Spray again, and let it sit for several hours, then try to remove.

If it doesn't budge, don't keep trying until you break what is left. Spray it down again and let it sit overnight.

If they broke off flush with the head, the I would rather have complete access to the head and good access to drill and ez-out the stud.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear member

ive snapped many EZ outs in my day... which is kinda depressing seeing that they are probably hardened steel.... as a matter in fact, i busted one of them trying to get a head-flush broken bolt outta a 305 cylinder head... i even had the head chilling on a workbench so i had plenty of access. But, this head was an old, rusty head that has been sitting and decroting (rotting).. worthless

good luck trying to get em with the engine in the bay, if u can do it you got mad props from me.. haha usually in a situation like this i would instantly sit back and be pissed until somebody else fixed it
talk about lack-0-motivation lol

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear member

ive snapped many EZ outs in my day... which is kinda depressing seeing that they are probably hardened steel.... as a matter in fact, i busted one of them trying to get a head-flush broken bolt outta a 305 cylinder head... i even had the head chilling on a workbench so i had plenty of access. But, this head was an old, rusty head that has been sitting and decroting (rotting).. worthless

good luck trying to get em with the engine in the bay, if u can do it you got mad props from me.. haha usually in a situation like this i would instantly sit back and be pissed until somebody else fixed it
talk about lack-0-motivation lol

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear member

(sorry about the accidental double post)

Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I love this forum. Thanks all for the comments. The exhaust noise was driving me crazy. I was getting ready to deal with it this weekend but I ended up selling the car instead :-)

So thanks all for the suggestions. I envisioned a weekend full of frustration and swears with no booze :-(.

Here is the old faithful 95 Z

I ended up picking a 2001 SS today. Here she is

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^LUCKY DUCK!!! I want one too!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Now that, is a solution to a problem, lol

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust manifold bolt-how to remove