93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Upgrade?

I finally got my new wheels mounted (18x9.5 all the way around), and as I tried to stop for the first time from highway speeds I noticed the brake pedal had a brief grinding feel to it followed by the brakes feeling like they weren't really doing much when applyed. If I re-apply they get better. I replaced the rotors and pads to stock back in February when I still had the stock wheels. My question is what kind of upgrade can I make to hopefully resolve this... just drilled and slotted, or larger rotors, or...???

Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Brake Upgrade?

When it comes to brakes, bigger is better. Drilled and/or slotted rotors help cooling. The quality of the brake pad is critical. Ceramic based Pads are longer lasting and don't create black dust. You may not need to upgrade the brakes except in quality. Generally, the gen 4 brakes are pretty good unless You're into road racing.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

The pads I bought in February I believe are carbon-metallic from Autozone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...spagenameZWDVW

Would these be worth it? ...or just a cheap knock-off?

I'm not into the whole drag racing, haha not with a V-6 anyway. When it does this is just normal driving at speeds above 50-55MPH.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Stay away from Sleeze-Bay. Go to a reputable Auto Store or online with Autozone, Advance etc. If You want monster brakes, Baer Brake is the place to go.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Ugh lol... I checked Baer out already, $700 just for FRONT ROTORS. They were larger therefore I will have to go with larger calipers as well... $$$. I would prefer not to spend $2,000 brakes lol.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

I said if You want Monster Brakes!!!!!!! See what I mean. Upgrade the factory brakes and go from there.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, appreciate it... Drilled and slotted from Autozone with ceramic pads? Ceramic pads lead me to another question, do the cermaic pads require a certain amount of heat, or have to get hot before they fully begin to work? If so those would not be best suitable for normal driving in traffic, correct or am I mistaken?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 AM
4th Gear Member

the rims look bad as hell.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

haha thanks... Tirerack.com ....CHEAP
If you go there, search under an '04 'Vette and they are the "Sport Edition V6 Chrome Plated"

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slick6

Ok, appreciate it... Drilled and slotted from Autozone with ceramic pads? Ceramic pads lead me to another question, do the cermaic pads require a certain amount of heat, or have to get hot before they fully begin to work? If so those would not be best suitable for normal driving in traffic, correct or am I mistaken?
One thing for sure with ceramics...it won't be the pads, but rather the rotors that get eaten up first.

If you do a ton of stop and go driving, think about that.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade?