93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Default Brake Light Problem

Ok so I was coming home from work and I got home and came to a complete stop, well then I for some reason (I have no idea why) pushed my brake pedal in as far as it would go (remember I was already at a complete stop in park). Well I here a pop close to like a spring popping. My brake light comes on and I can't get it to go off. Not my ABS light Just my brake light. So I check the brake fluid and it was pretty low so I put some in it, no change in the light. Next I re crank the car to see if it will go away, no change. I then engange and disengange the parking brake, no change. I have no idea what I can do to get this light to go away. I tested the brakes and they work perfectly E brake works regular brakes work, there is no change in the braking just the light being on.

Please guys help me.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yr and model? do you have disc brakes on all four? check on the backside of all four tires and see if theres fluid coming from any of the brakes calipers/hubs or brake lines. a leaky brake cylinder or line will do that.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check you brake light bulbs, a brake light out will cause the light to come on. I would also say to check you e-brake, the back brakes have springs on them but it wouldn't cause the brake light to come on.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Let's see...you buried the brake pedal, heard a "pop", the brake light went on, and now your fluid was low. That pretty much sum it up?
Yep, sounds like a brake tail lamp to me too! j.k.
Your brake light would be on for a few reasons:
1) if your e-brake was on or if the e-brake switch was faulty.
2) if there is a leak in the brake system.
3) if there's air in a line
4) if you have a faulty master cylinder, wheel cylinder or caliper, brake line, or hose.
Given your explanation, I'd go with #4. It sure sounds like something "let loose."
For starters, I would check all the brake lines, rubber hoses, wheel calipers and cylinders for a leak.
If all looks dry, it's possible your master cylinder is leaking-by internally. Keep a close eye on the fluid level. If it goes down again, you know you have a leak somewhere.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He said he filled the brake fluid and they worked fine. I would assume that he didn't find any leaks and therefore it's something else. From what I know about these cars, it has to have a pretty good leak or be pretty low for the brake light to come on. The only other thing I could think of was electrical.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I know, I was just giving you crap! But by what he says, it sounds more like a mechanical problem though.
Another thing that comes to mind is if the brake pressure module valve (part of the ABS system) screwed up, it will turn the brake light on too. You don't need an external leak for something in the braking system to make the light go on.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-13-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

true that^

Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM

it's a 94 v6 and it was dark when I put brake fluid in I just noticed it being pretty low. I will check everything you guys said. Thx for all the info

Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Ok so just went and checked brake fluid and it was about 4 days ago I filled it up and it hasn't moved at all. So no leaks anywhere. Could the problem have Anything to do with the ABS system even though I am getting no ABS light or any problems other than the brake light being on all the time?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Sorry to take up a third post, but i only have disc brakes in the back

Quick Reply: Brake Light Problem