93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Blown Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009 | 03:25 PM
|
1st Gear Member
Default Blown Gasket?

hey everyone... this is my first camaro and my first post...

first off i work on cars and have work on friends cars including camaros. I just bought a 95 camaro w/3.4 and after driving it about 2 weeks i noticed that it got real hot real quick... so i checked the fluid in the radiator and it was low so i topped it off and same thing happened weeks later, so i then decided to replace the tstat and it helped some but not much, so i then flushed the system and tried the Blue Devil sealant and it seemed to sort of fix the issue until today when i got in fired it up and after driving about 15mins it got real hot again, and the entire time i got a slight rough idle so im wondering if i should just pull the heads and have them done and replace my gaskets or if i should try something else first? please let me know what you guys think....

Old 10-31-2009 | 03:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you need to figure out why your car is overheating. It could be the headgaskets, its a comon issue with these car at this age. But it also could be the fans not kicking on or a plugged radiator.

Step one, Pressure test your system see if you have any leaks. Autozone will let you borrow a test if you leave them a deposit.

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:37 PM
|
1st Gear Member

my fans work and i have already done a pressure check and found nothing and have not leaks or drips or anything under the car either... and its not overheating just getting up to the red not in it and i lose my heat and it just starts blowing cold air....and i flushed the system as well cause i had to in order to use the blue devil

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:47 PM

I'd do a chemical test, or have a shop do it. This uses blue dye and if combustion gas is in the cooling system, it will turn green or yellow, this will verify you have a bad head or gasket. Hope this helps, Steve, auto tech in KC.

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:49 PM
|
1st Gear Member

i have the chemical test kit and it indicated i have a blown gasket or bad head which lead to to trying the blue devil sealent

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:53 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your saying you think you have a blown head gasket but it did not show up on the pressure test? That would be odd. If your system passed a pressure test you do not have a blown head gasket. strange a car that is losing coolant would pass a pressure test.

Just because you flushed the rad does not mean it has good flow. It is not uncomon in these cars to replace a rad due to lack of flow. Sometimes even rads that have been removed from the car and taken to a rad shop for flushing can not be saved.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-31-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2009 | 09:54 PM

Well mbar, it's time to pull the heads, have them worked over and pressure checked and then put it all back together. You don't want to take the risk of overheating the engine to the point of total failure.

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:57 PM
|
1st Gear Member

i plan to call blue devil get a refund on their product and then start to take apart the engine and pull the heads and i guess thats gonna be the best time to do mods too.... anyone have any thing else to try out before i take the heads off or have any thoughts on mods?

Old 10-31-2009 | 10:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mbar
i have the chemical test kit and it indicated i have a blown gasket or bad head which lead to to trying the blue devil sealent
If you are absolutly sure you have a blown head gasket what is your question?

Old 10-31-2009 | 10:02 PM
|
1st Gear Member

i am not 100% sure i just want to see what others think before i jump into something that i dont have to... and it seems wierd that i could have a blown head and i only have 109k on the car but thats why im on here to get others thoughts and opinions

Quick Reply: Blown Gasket?