93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)

What do you guys use for ramps?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
4th Gear Member

the girlfriend

Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M*******LT1

Rhino Ramps. As for jacking, there are notches on the rocker panel flanges for the jack head to go. These notches are located behind the front wheel well, and infront of the rear wheel well on both sides. You should have the car in park, and if the front of your car is being raised you should have the parking brake on. Along with doing that your wheels should be blocked. Its much easier to use Rhino Ramps to change the oil, or to change differential fluid in the rear. However for something such as changing brakes it is best to use a jack, and jack stands. WhenI'm doing that and not even going under the car I still use jack stands and leave thejack under the car. Also when using a jack I use a piece of wood in between the head, and the point of contact on the car.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

ORIGINAL: M*******LT1

. You should have the car in park, and if the front of your car is being raised you should have the parking brake on. Along with doing that your wheels should be blocked.
Banks, all others aside, that is totally the wrong information. If you are raising the front tires off the ground, its blocked rear wheels, e-brake off and in Netural. Reason being is that if the rear wheels are immobile, they will pull the car off the jack if jacking from the front. The car should be able to move forward while jacking up, if not you are risking a jack through the oil pan.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chappie99
Banks, all others aside, that is totally the wrong information. If you are raising the front tires off the ground, its blocked rear wheels, e-brake off and in Netural. Reason being is that if the rear wheels are immobile, they will pull the car off the jack if jacking from the front. The car should be able to move forward while jacking up, if not you are risking a jack through the oil pan.
I think I understand what you mean, but the car won'tmove, and it won't come off the jack if the rear wheels don't pull it off the jack. With therear wheels chocked and locked the car shouldn't roll anywhere. I don't quite understand how the car will move forward ifthe frontisat a higher angle than the rear, it should roll back if anything. To back this up I even just referred to my Haynes manual, and it says the same thing I did.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Think about it, the block should be behind the rear wheels, and as the car is going up, the jack will be pulling on the car. Ya the jack has wheels and can also roll, but I feel more comfortable with the car moving a bit than the jack which usually sinks into the hot top moving due to the fact that most of the time its not perfectally level and I have had jacks wanna tip over.