93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Anybody want a challege?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Exclamation Anybody want a challege?

Since all you people know alot about camaros, ill ask you guys instead of taking it to a mechanic and spending all the money i dont have...

1997 Camaro. bogs down when it feels like it..... one week it was driving like crap, would barley start, woudl hesitate when gas was applied... but when it was feathered the car woudl go a little bit better..

then last week it was running perfect no problems whatsoever i coudl do burnouts......

now it's back to what it was....but it got progressivly worse.. woudl start fine one day but drive carppy.. then turned into barley starting....The idle fluctuates like crazy

here is a list of what i have replaced....

New exhaust....
No CAT
MAF
TPS
Air filter
coil packs
plugs
wires
radiator (not related)
fuel pump
fuel filter
new vacumn tubes

Now there are no vacumn leaks, i sprrayed starting fluid and the rpm stayed the same.. One 02 sensor isnt connnected.. ( got ripped off when cat was taken out)... autozone says low voltage to MAF and TPS...after i replaced them....hmmm

any help woudl be great...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Start by fixing what you know is broke. Intermittant computer problems can be tuff to figure out by a pro with a scanner in his hand while its doing it. These kind of probelm do not repair well over the internet.

After saying that I would look at the EGR valve. If its sticking sometimes it could cause all the issues you described. Also have you cheked you fuel pressure? A regulator that is going bad could also cause these issues. If you want to just keep throwing parts at it I can make you another list almost as long as the one you got of more parts that could be causing this.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Same issue

man i understand your frustration i am pulling a p0102 code and i just replaced the mass air flow sensor and i can clear code turn car on it bogs down and light comes right back on. i dont notice any issue with driveability after initial start up its pretty frustrating though im wondering if there is an issue with the wiring like the clip for the electrical is bad autzone says i might berunning into a closed circuit.... i like to work on cars but dont know crap about electrical but im about to go see if i can check the electrical on the tip of connector

Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hm

well no luck today i cut off the first 6 inches of wiring and wired on a new clip (there was a cut in my wire and it appeared to have been arcing i was hoping this would fix it) but ultimately no luck the TPS and MAF are brand new the next test will be a voltage continuity test........ translates to i might be dropping it off to a mechanic friend and washing my hands of it..... worse case scenario it might be time to get a new reflashed ecm......

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default not egr valve

Egr valve on this car is electronic when it fails or sticks a code would be stored. Could easily be read by obd2 scanner I'm having same issue and my egr is brand noon damn las Vegas emission standards

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default possible solution

called my mechanic friend he is looking at it today he said sounds like ecm

Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

i seem to be the only one feeding this haha but if your still reading this i had a pin test done on my ecm sure enough slowly but surely my ecm is dying my car had same exact symptoms as yours my power wire to my mass air flow sensor was cut just slightly caused it to ground out attacked ecm and now my car runs like crap first code was mass air flow low circuit then tps just like yours so will let you know when my new ecm comes in if this indeed fixed your issue but you prolly wanna start hunting around for a new ecm............ hope this helped

Tony
2007 Scion TC
1997 Camaro With T-Tops

Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Interesting.
If the ECM doesn't fix your problems, take it to a shop that offers free estimates -- they will tell you what they believe needs doing. You should test your injectors with a NOID light... Also run a few tanks of a good fuel system cleaner like Lucas. Alternately, consider a Seafoam application. Also spray some throttle body cleaner in the butterfly valve and clean any varnish, catch the drip with a rag.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default me

I use Lucas with ever fill up and cleaned throttle body prior to the conclusion it was ecm and I think every shop here charges for diagnosis

Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i had a friend once who had similiar issues in his gmc once and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump....just an idea