93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

96 v6 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 AM

Okay I had the car and motor given to me so there's around 2000 off the 5g I'm not gonna make it as high performance as it goes I just want a running car I know plenty of welders that would do the mounts for metal cost and I'm gonna have an old school the least amount of Electrics I came so I'm gonna make my own wiring harness with powering what's necessary and it's gonna be as stock looking as I can get so I'm gonna try to use as much of the stock parts I can I'm looking for a dd not a race ready 10.00 car I'm doing this on a budget over the next couple months so .wanting to stay under 2000

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am curious, Why? You are going to try to be under 2K. You most likely not going to make it. To fabricate your own mounts you going to have to install the motor and make adjustments atleast twice most likely 3 times. Do you even know how to setup drive line angles? Because your going to have to get them right then take very accurate measument then make a drawing that a welder can use to make the parts. Or take the car to a welder and have him tac everything inplace while its in the car and the angles are set. Motors dont just sit under the hood they are positioned at a set angle. If the angle is off the car will vibrate and break U-joints. Google Drive line angles.

Your going to need a transmission out of a Camaro. Your V6 trans will not bolt to the V8 and the trans must have the torque arm connector on the back of the trans and you need a non-computer controled unit. that means only a 93 automatic will work. Good luck finding one of those in good shape on the cheap. Anti lock brakes need gutted and redone. Heat controls. You need a whole new exhaust system, that alone can cost $800-1200. Have you check emmisions in your area? is this ok to do? Most place the emission system must be intact, even if they don't do testing. The carb goes right where the wipers are, Here in PA no wipers, no inspection.

All that work and you end up with a unsaleable car that could be out run by amost any car on the road and it gets really bad gas mileage.

Or send $500 and 2 weekends and have a car worth more then you have invested with 200hp and can get 30 MPG. 3800 SII motor has won awards the 305 is one of the worst small block GM ever built. Honestly it boogles my mind.

You did not read real carfully.
Originally Posted by vteckiller
the car cost me $500 (it hit a deer) body work was $500 and the swap alone was around 5g.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Looker, just call the salvage yard and have them come and pick up the car now. You don't listen to good advise so you are prolly not gonna listen to this either. I get the feeling you don't know much about this stuff anyway and you are gonna blow 5K before you are in so deep you no longer have a car worth the scrap value. Y ou have the most knowledgable guys here telling you that the V6 is cheaper, puts out more Hp and will maintain your car's value but you constantly ignore us. I didn't make the thread about where to find the 3800 engines because I was bored, I did it so guys like you could save their cars and drive them.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM

And everyone said all of this to another member and what did he do??? The same thing I'm gonna do to you guys thank them for the advice and them prove them wrong I already have a 700r4 trans for it that's bolted to the 350 I do t want a v6 camaro unless I figure out a way to make a 3800 put of a gtp or ssei I'm well aware of everything I need to do and it will be done I'm not asking for a racecar I've already said that and I don't care much about mileage I drive a half mile to work

Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Google Tom Henry Camaro and check out what they did to the white 4th gen. It is not a racecar, it makes close to 300HP and will eat the SSEI or GTP.

OH and all this non turbo.

As for the 2 that tried and made it we have had several here that have not. You are not the first with this idea, We just hate to see a good car die from a poorly planned idea.

Massey

Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by looker44
And everyone said all of this to another member and what did he do??? The same thing I'm gonna do to you guys thank them for the advice and them prove them wrong I already have a 700r4 trans for it that's bolted to the 350 I do t want a v6 camaro unless I figure out a way to make a 3800 put of a gtp or ssei I'm well aware of everything I need to do and it will be done I'm not asking for a racecar I've already said that and I don't care much about mileage I drive a half mile to work
If you are doing this for a learning project then its all good. Just know you can learn a lot more restoring a car back to original and my stock 3800 will blow away your 305, in fact if you tried to make your 305 as fast as my 3800 the crank would fail before you got there.

If you are doing this so you car get a V8 car on the cheap then it is a mistake. You have a ton of good parts. You could find a Z28 that was hit in the front and swap your front end and air bag for cheap. Maybe $1200 and one weekend worth of work. If you take your time and really search you could find a lower miles well kept car. I am around car auctions and dealers and I watch local camaro sales. I see these "conversion" all the time 90% are unfinished but even the few I do see that car finished are not inspected and they sell as parts car. In many cases the engines and front clips are worth more then anyone will pay for the car.

You are well aware of EVERYTHING you need to do? Then you know that you can not use the 700R4 in the camaro unless you buy a torque arm relocator. This car will $100 dollar you to death. Yes I have tried to talk other people out of the swap. I mean my god look at the effort an money Vteckiller put into his car. Step one for replacing the distributer cap, remove engine? come on you really want a car like that? He has more money and 10x the hours in that car then I have in both my projects and I have a 96 I have been driving daily for 3 years and 60,000 miles and I have a 93 LT1/6speed in the garage with 34,000 miles on the engine transmision and a spare LT1/6 speed sitting on the floor.

These forth gens are getting dirt cheap and parts are just as cheap as long as you do not go after the LS1 tech. It is the conversion process that is really not worth the time and money when you can buy the bolt in GM parts so cheap.

When you can buy a running, driving 280 HP Z28 for $2000 why on earth would be build 140 HP franken car for $2000? (that assumes you can do it for 2k)

Example:
Most likely a new fly wheel and a starter 4 hours work tops. Part out you V6 for $800+ Bam Your driving 280 ponies in a car worth way more then you have invested.
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/3853859258.html (opps sold already, it was a 94 Z28 with a "starter issue" $1500 nake offer)

Last edited by Gorn; 06-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Yea I see ur point I just had the car gave to me I'm searching Craigslist daily for parts cars a buddy of mine has an lt1 bored to a 383 making 450 and an extra 150 with the bottle that's what I'd like but I don't have the money the car was given to me because I have no other way to work and I'm just letting the car sit till I find a motor that will work but it's hard when no one has parts cheap and I only have like 300 extra dollars a month to work with

Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 PM

And some moron who had the car just cut the wiring harness for the hole car so I need to redo all that I finally got to see the car today so I've got m m ty work cut out for me no matter how I do it

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Show us where he cut it. If it is the engine harness it could be a easy fix. Most of the time when guys part out cars they will sell harnesses for next to nothing as long as you remove it. Installing the new harness is a pc of cake because you would had to install it on the new engine anyway. You just need a 96 possible a 97 harness.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 PM

They cut it on the top of the drivers fender

Last edited by looker44; 06-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 v6 motor swap