93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 V6 Modification questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 95 V6 Modification questions

I have a 95 Camaro V6 3.4L I've done alot of work to it including headers and a Stage-II clutch. My car is a 5spd. Since now I'm spinning everywhere off the line I'm going to upgrade the rear end to a posi 3.42 with disc brakes. Will the T5 hold up to the new rear end? Besides brake lines is there anything else that needs to be swapped? Do I need to change my 2-piece driveshaft for a 1-piece?

I also want to swap the intake and throttle body with one off a 3400. Will the intake simply bolt on? Do I need to re-route the collant lines? Are there any mods I need to make to the 3400 intake? Will my existing IAT work?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The T5 was put in the 3rd gen 305 with a factory 285 Ft/lbs of torque. Unless you do some major internal mods your 3.4 is no where near that.

I am not a 3400 expert but I thought the intake was backward for a RWD car?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Yup, you're ight it is backwards. But I heard you can do an intake swap with the 3400? If not oh well. Less work for me!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Personally, I think it's a waste on a 3.4L, I had one previously. Define "a lot of work", what have you done already.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Let's see alot of work. This is what I've done to the car:
Headers, high-flow cat, dual exhaust, stage-II clutch, New EGR, AC clutch delete for bypass pulley, Rear shocks & springs, plugs & wires, inner & outer tie rods, U-Joints, driveshaft, swar bar links all around, front sway bar, CAI, gas tank, rear suspension bar, rear track bar, brakes, paint job, 30th anniversary stripes, HID headlight conversion, HID fog lights, clear corner marker lights. Thanks for telling me I'm wasting my time on the car btw.

Last edited by mrfreez; 07-13-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think the swap you are thinking of is the Head swap. The 3.4 in its stock form will aways have the limits of the heads. There is not much you can do with a 3.4 while it has the stock head on it. Research: 3400 head swap.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
I think the swap you are thinking of is the Head swap. The 3.4 in its stock form will aways have the limits of the heads. There is not much you can do with a 3.4 while it has the stock head on it. Research: 3400 head swap.
Originally Posted by mrfreez
Yup, you're ight it is backwards. But I heard you can do an intake swap with the 3400? If not oh well. Less work for me!
ooh! ooh! pick me!

I was about to do the head swap before I got my LT1. 3400 heads are probably a bad idea, because your compression will be really high (think 12.3) and you'll need to build the bottom end as well. If you use 3500 lower intake manifold and heads (Malibu/G6) you'll run lower compression (11.5), but you can keep the stock bottom end and use pump gas. You will need a 3400 upper intake manifold, because the 3500 won't fit under the cowl (you'll actually have to grind off the numbers to make the 3400 fit). You'll also need a 3500 fuel rail, a hot cam, and 3.1L V6 (think Cavalier) pushrods. Oh, and one heck of a tune haha.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Headers, high-flow cat, dual exhaust, stage-II clutch, New EGR, AC clutch delete for bypass pulley, Rear shocks & springs, plugs & wires, inner & outer tie rods, U-Joints, driveshaft, swar bar links all around, front sway bar, CAI, gas tank, rear suspension bar, rear track bar, brakes, paint job, 30th anniversary stripes, HID headlight conversion, HID fog lights, clear corner marker lights. Thanks for telling me I'm wasting my time on the car btw.
The mods you've done seem great. Nothing wrong with enhancing something you like. It's a Camaro, and it looks like you're enjoying it. Did you notice a considerable difference with the suspension tweaks?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Overdrive Member

What shocks did you go with? Seems Bilstein HDs are the best value on the V6 daily driver (SLP's version has no lifetime warranty). What size sways? Welded subframe connectors? Strut Tower Brace? Those would be high on the list for suspension.

You really put true duals on a 3.4L? I think you just meant dual outlet.

Do what makes you happy, but since I had a 3.4L -- I would say they're a bit long in the tooth, and was not worth much investment on my part.

At some point you have to add up all the money you're spending and figure if it's worth continuing with what you have, or is it better spent towards your next car.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Let me fill you in on a bit of info here. I live in Nova Scotia Canada. The weather here is moderate and in the winter there's a tonne of salt on the roads. We're also right by the ocean, and the salt spray and air take a toll on the cars here. When I was in the market for a Camaro, there were no Z28's in good shape within my price range. Cars are also more expensive here. A Z28 LT1 in good shape runs about 8k 10k for a 95 to 97 model. A 98+ model is between 10k to 16k.

Since I have to replace the heads, pistons, intake, and TB and combine parts from 3 engines, it's just not worth it. I'll continue with my plan to put an LT1 in the car. I can get an LT1 for $500.00 and rebuild it for less than $1000.00.

I have no dreams on trying to make my 3.4 as fast as a V8 or race V8's. I just want to get the maximum power I can out of my engine. That's why I've done the mods I did. 15.2 in the 1/4 mile isn't bad and better than the 3800's. And that's slipping all the way, hence why I am swapping the rear end for a posi.

I do all the work to the car myself. I'm lucky that I'm part of a military auto club that has 4 bays with hoists, 4 without, 6 body bays, and a paint booth. They also have all the air tools etc for any job you need to do. I'm no mechanic, but I learn from others and I'm keen to learn.

The shocks and springs I got were the lifetime warranty ones from NAPA for the Z28. I found out that it's the same shock & spring for both the V6 & Z28 in the rear! The front shocks & springs are different however. I did a coolant flush a few weeks ago that helped the car cool down alot better, but also got rid of the crap that was helping to seal the water pump so now it's leaking. I'm replacing the water pump today, and the thermostat while I'm at it. It's about a 3 hour job.

Quick Reply: 95 V6 Modification questions