93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

93 Camaro help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Exclamation 93 Camaro help

Ok I just bought a 1993 V6 auto maroon Camaro. It has 110,805 miles on the odometer. Its got some issues....to say the VERY least. It needs a signal bulb which is nothing really. The radio has a crackling noise when turned on. It gets worse as the volume goes up. I'm wondering if this is a radio problem or a speaker problem or both. The radio doesn't light up and is in pretty sad shape so its gonna go regardless. I just had the power steering pump and hoses replaced. It needs brakes like yesterday. The drivers side rear taillight is from a 98+ not a 93, what kind of problems might that be causing, if any? Last and most important...the oil pressure gauge drops dangerously low at times, and lately it will take a while to get up to normal range after starting the engine. It does get there it just takes longer than I know it should. When driving occasionally it will drop too low. It does go back to normal, but it takes way too long. The oil pan does have too much oil in it. Could that be the reason for the oil pressure being screwy? I haven't put any oil in it at all. I'm starting to regret buying the car and its only been a week....Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Your crackling in the speakers is because the speakers are old and busted, just replace them. Your oil pressure could be a number of things including a faulty sensor, but I'd recommend a oil change pronto. And why do you have too much oil? Is this something you did or was it already like that? I would also like to add that any information that I give right now comes under the influence of Mr. Anheuser and Mr. Busch and I am not liable for any information that may be incorrect.

Last edited by adam86107; 05-22-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The updated taillight doesn't affect anything in a negative way, other than you now having a mis-matched pair. I've done that swap myself too...to both.
How much "too much" oil do you have? If it's way overfilled, the counterweights on the crankshaft can be whipping the oil up into a milkshake, and aerating the oil. Air in the oil is a very bad thing for your bearings. It sounds like the clueless previous owner was trying to "fix" the low oil pressure by adding more to the crankcase. More oil does not mean more oil pressure.
When you change the oil, put thicker stuff in there. I would try about half 20w50 and half 10w40. The jumping oil reading could also be the pressure switch as mentioned above.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 AM

The oil was like that when I bought the car so it was nothing I did. The only fluids I put in it so far have been a TON of power steering fluid...bad pump and hoses....and it needed brake fluid when I bought it. Aside from checking the oil I haven't done a thing to it. I will get it changed and filled to the right amount as soon as I am able to. Other than that I hope everything ends up ok with the car. Thanks guys for your help and insight! I appreciate it.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Definaltely get the extra oil out of there. That is very bad for your engine.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 AM

Well it seems like whatever dumb stupid idiot put the oil in it did so because the engine is leaking oil. I am not happy....not happy at all. They probably overfilled the oil pan to "compensate" for the leak hoping that it wouldn't get noticed right away, and it wasn't due to the fact that it was leaking power steering fluid and I work a crazy schedule so I didn't notice the oil leak until just the other day. Oh I am very very unhappy with condition of this car.