93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 camaro headers install help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default 3.8 camaro headers install help needed

So i got the headers and y pipe off after about 2 hours. It wanst to complicated but now i have a problem. The y pipe that came with the pacesetters is about 3" short and way to wide. Il post pic with the y pipe and an extra piece of pipe of the size as example.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 AM
4th Gear Member

It it 3" diameter. You should have done some homework. And what is it short from? Do you have a high flow cat? If so, that would explain things. That or you cut back too far.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

I cut as close as i could. The site said includes everything needed for install so i assumed it did. Its about 3" too short. Also before buying i knew that the egr was gonna be a pain but damn is a pain to try to get it to go in right. I wished it used 2 bolts instead of 1. My headers did come with a gasket so that helps. My cat is stock.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
4th Gear Member

It does include everything... It's supposed to come right up to the cat or replacement pipe. What else is it meant to come with? Extra pipe cuz you messed up? Lol.

The header gaskets they provide are garbage. You should purchase some OEM gaskets.

The Y-Pipe comes to a 3 inch collector. Do you still have stock exhaust? If you do, I'm curious why you even purchased headers without having a catback... You'll get seemingly zero HP from them without a better flow after them...

Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Carnage, could you post some pics? I'm curious about where the difference is.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
It does include everything... It's supposed to come right up to the cat or replacement pipe. What else is it meant to come with? Extra pipe cuz you messed up? Lol.
I dint mess up i cut as close as i could to the stock y pipe.

The header gaskets they provide are garbage. You should purchase some OEM gaskets.
I did

The Y-Pipe comes to a 3 inch collector. Do you still have stock exhaust? If you do, I'm curious why you even purchased headers without having a catback... You'll get seemingly zero HP from them without a better flow after them...
My stock exhaust manifolds wer all messed up and i plan on doing a full exhaust

Originally Posted by RedKnight
Carnage, could you post some pics? I'm curious about where the difference is.
I sure will when i start working on it. I got the flu right now so i cant really work on the car.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm bit with some lousy flu bug as well. I miss the Summer season.

I'm hoping to get my headers on the Camaro this Spring if all goes well.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

I dint think i made this clear but the set did come with the egr gasket not just the header gaskets.
Name:  IMAG0063-1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  40.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0060.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0062.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  40.7 KB

Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
4th Gear Member

That cat doesn't look stock to me... You can see where extra pipe was welded on to make it fit the exhaust... Get moar pipe.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The stock converter is a lot longer then the one in your pic (8"-10"?). It is not great pic but you can see the my stock converter connected to the Y pipe. My 96 has an O2 sensor in front of the converter and so did the Y-pipe so I had a good reference point.
Name:  together2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  54.3 KB

Captain Hindsight Says: Always mock up anything not stock before you do any cutting.

You are going to have to make up adapter. To do a nice job you should get rid of the short tube sticking out of the existing Cat and a pipe that runs from the Y pipe to the cat. Most part store sell pipe adapters in random lengths.

Quick Reply: 3.8 camaro headers install help needed