93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4l Coolant Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 3.4l Coolant Questions

Hey guys. My coolant is a rust color Orange, and is only about a quarter full. I want to completely clean out my coolant system so I have some questions.

What is the capacity of the coolant system?
And under the hood says there's a special coolant filling method and to see the manual which I don't have.
How do I go about this?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Overdrive Member

The coolant that should be in the car is normally an orange color. Rust color is bad... If you service your cooling system make sure to flush the system first then add either more Dex Cool or get a for all makes all models antifreeze. Mixing Dexcool with "Green" antifreeze will cause it to turn into a jelly like mud that can ruin your car. Usually a gallon of full strength AF and the rest water is protection enough in all but the coldest places here in the US.

Massey

Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by M***ey
The coolant that should be in the car is normally an orange color. Rust color is bad... If you service your cooling system make sure to flush the system first then add either more Dex Cool or get a for all makes all models antifreeze. Mixing Dexcool with "Green" antifreeze will cause it to turn into a jelly like mud that can ruin your car. Usually a gallon of full strength AF and the rest water is protection enough in all but the coldest places here in the US.

M***ey
Thanks for the help m***ey. Are they really bleeping your name now? lol.

Would it hurt the car to run a garden hose in the radiator while its running? I want to get as much of the crap out as I can.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Overdrive Member

I see my post normal but the rest is ***'d

Running a hose and fresh water through the engine is fine with the engine running so long as the whole engine gets the water.

Massey

Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ok heres what you do...

first drain that crap out then i pulled the whole rad to make it easier to flush the system make sure you flush the rad good with water too next pull out the thermostat it will make flushing much easier (i also recommend replacing the stat with a new one there like 7 bucks) being as handy as i was i went to lowes and rigged up a fitting out of pvc that my hose screwed on to and then the fitting fit inside my rad hose and i clamped that on (you can just stick your garden hose in the rad hose) and let water run thru the engine for about 20 min or until its crystal clear then i reinstalled the rad and the new stat and ran some prestone flush thru her (follow the direction very good on that) then flushed that out and filled the engine back up with 1 gallon of full strength coolant (i stay away from dexcool from what i hear its not the best stuff... maybe thats for aluminum idk i just dont use it and its expensive) then filled it the rest of the way with water let the engine get up to temp with the cap off to let any air out and make sure you top it off with water again

you may need to read that twice i did lol

any questions pm me i just did it on my 95 3.4 about 3 mths ago

dang i only live about 100 miles down 85 from you

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 12-14-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear member

You sure its safe to run it with the cap off?

And ive been looking for people around here on the forums with no luck. Move to Charlotte! haha.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya its fine to run it with the cap off i do it to every car i put coolant in

lol im trying to go further south like charleston on the ocean so i can catch sharks lol but that wont be for a couple years

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM
4th Gear Member

If you have rust colored water or antifreeze, I would do a full out flush. Meaning a caustic coolant system flush specifically made for cleaning out your coolant system. It can be a bit expensive but if your coolant is that color, that means the inside of your radiator cannot be pretty and probably isn't working to its full potential.

I also would NOT run Dex-Cool. It gunks up over time and if you add a universal ethylene glycol formula, it will turn into jello pretty much. I would run a 50/50 water/AF mix with a universal type antifreeze. There are more abrasives in it but there is no sand anymore due to law. Even if you ran it for 500000 miles, the amount of abrasives in any cross-platform antifreeze other than Honda specific coolants will not matter at all. There are nearly no silicates in the newer antifreezes making them pretty much universal.

Get the "green" Prestone and make sure you do a flush or you'll do yourself no good heh. This applies to all vehicles IMO. Not just the 3.4L.