93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4 cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Default 3.4 cooling system

I have a 3.4 Camaro that I bought new in 1994 and have babied it but last few years I have had a problem with the temp in stop and go traffic. The temp starts to rise slowly in (Texas) hot weather without the a/c on. After the traffic clears a little and I get going and get some wind through the radiator the temp comes back down. It doesn't over heat, but I see the gauge climbing slowly while sitting. But what seems odd to me is the single fan doesn't come on until around 240. But it has been checked and said it was ok.

New water pump & 195* thermostat, flushed out the radiator -- looks fairly clean, doesn't seem to be leaking any water. New 18# radiator cap.

Could it be a coolant sensor gunked up with hard water deposits throwing it off? It has 92k easy miles on the car. Besides doing a hot wire and manual toggle switch for the fan, is there a way I can program something to make the fan come on at 200* or 210*? Am I even looking at the right things?

TIA,
Larry

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes there is. u can get your computer tuned for a lesser temp thermostat. i have a 180 degree thermostat in my lt1 with the ecm tuned for it. i think u can get a double fan set up if u dont have one. u could be right on the sensor. i think the 6 has a sensor for the cooling system at the front top of the motor. is the fan comming on with the ac? should come on whenever the ac is on. if not your ac system may need to be seviced. have u noticed the ses light coming on? checked for stored trouble codes? welcome to the forum. should introduce yourself on the new member page. so u surf?

Last edited by craby; 06-02-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by craby
yes there is. u can get your computer tuned for a lesser temp thermostat. i have a 180 degree thermostat in my lt1 with the ecm tuned for it. i think u can get a double fan set up if u dont have one. u could be right on the sensor. i think the 6 has a sensor for the cooling system at the front top of the motor. is the fan comming on with the ac? should come on whenever the ac is on. if not your ac system may need to be seviced. have u noticed the ses light coming on? checked for stored trouble codes? welcome to the forum. should introduce yourself on the new member page. so u surf?
I've always liked camaros but I'm not 'into it' like I would be if I had a Z. Just trying to catch up on a few repairs that I have been putting off. I bought it for gas mileage when I was commuting, it was much cheaper and so was the insurance. The a/c is the other thing I have to get fixed but the fan does come on with it. I'm not up on the acronyms -- ses? -- but there are no warning lights on. I do prolly need to go to Autozone and get the codes checked. Ought to do that before I pull a sensor. Thanks for the welcome. I surf, but don't travel much anymore. I work mostly on my full size jeep for coastline exploring.

Appreciate the help.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM

I don't anything about computer control so bear with me.

If I can find someone to reprogram the ECM for a lower thermostat, wouldn't I lose the changes and have to reprogram every time the battery goes completely dead or is swapped out, unless they can burn it to the chip somehow? ...And would it be easier just to get a high performance chip with the lower thermostat setting burned in when the chip is made, or maybe find a used one with the 180 already set?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by WaveHunter
I don't anything about computer control so bear with me.

If I can find someone to reprogram the ECM for a lower thermostat, wouldn't I lose the changes and have to reprogram every time the battery goes completely dead or is swapped out, unless they can burn it to the chip somehow? ...And would it be easier just to get a high performance chip with the lower thermostat setting burned in when the chip is made, or maybe find a used one with the 180 already set?
well u can go either way. u can send in yours and have it tuned or u could get a add on or chip or board whatever there called for this yr and it will hold the changes. look aroung and see whats available for u. pcmforless.com is a good place.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Would I have any chance of finding something like that used, maybe around this forum?

This car is my daily driver so I can't afford to have it down very long, or spend a lot of money. It just isn't worth it being a 3.4. High performance chip is prolly a waste too, but if I have to get another chip or a custom burn, might as well if it won't totally kill my mileage. Last short trip I got 26mpg. 3.4 has no power at all. I can't have my cake and eat it too. Oh well, I'll check around. Thanks for the link.