93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, I had to laugh a bit at your post Gorn. There is a lot of good out there regarding this chip. It does communicate directly with the ECU, changing the fuel ratio and timing etc., as other similar inexpensive chips do. There are those resistor types out there..
My experience with the Volo chip has been positive. I recently did some work on my car, and had to re-calibrate the chip for the first time since it was installed over two years ago. The ECU reset, and the chip calibrated for about 30 seconds. Now my Camaro runs even better. So even if your car is in great condition, this chip may make it even better with the basic tuning it does provide. I'd recommend the Volo performance chip for any 3.4 owner looking for a little better tuning for your car.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by royco95
Wow, I had to laugh a bit at your post Gorn. There is a lot of good out there regarding this chip. It does communicate directly with the ECU, changing the fuel ratio and timing etc., as other similar inexpensive chips do. There are those resistor types out there..
My experience with the Volo chip has been positive. I recently did some work on my car, and had to re-calibrate the chip for the first time since it was installed over two years ago. The ECU reset, and the chip calibrated for about 30 seconds. Now my Camaro runs even better. So even if your car is in great condition, this chip may make it even better with the basic tuning it does provide. I'd recommend the Volo performance chip for any 3.4 owner looking for a little better tuning for your car.
You can laugh at me all you want but I do have a degree in Automotive technology and I am a GM/ASE Master tech and I have been working on EFI since the mid 80’s. I have been dealing with these chips since then and with people who say they are great. Like I said 95% of the people that buy them uninstall them in less than a week. (You saw the review I posted?) ANY I mean ANY company that will not stand behind it product is a CON. How can a add on chip give you better gas mileage then a dyno tune? Dyno tunes are engine specific so if you have low then stock compression it will add more timing. Yet no one in the Dyno world will claim 10% increase in fuel mileage.
Like I said if the company could prove a 10% increase they would have millions of orders by the end of the weekend. It is possible to lean a motor out to improve mileage but that would be against the law and it would damage the Cat and could damage the motor. If you really saw that big a different when you installed the chip I suggest you remove the chip and take your car to a mechanic and get it fixed.

This chip plugs into sensors? Then it does not communicate with the PCM. This is how it work. The PCM output 5 volts to a sensor. It is expecting a changed signal back. It is looking for say 1.5 volts it is not a communication port, all the “Chip” can do is make that 1.5 volts 1.4 volt or it could be real fancy and it could make it 1.6 volts. The sensor input can only report a voltage to the PCM NOTHING more. Your chip has to be a resistor, it can be a variable resistor but it is a resistor. The only communication port to the PCM is ALDL port under the dash if it is not plugged into that it is NOT talking to the PCM.
The calibration you are talking about is the computer re-learning how to deal with your chip. Your computer learns how you drive and it makes up for variations in all your systems anytime you remove the power this is lost and it resets to original factory settings. 95% customers never notice the re-learn process. One of our quick checks for EFI is to clear the memory and see how the car runs on the factory settings. If it runs poorly the first minute or so something is still out of wack.
You still laughing?

Last edited by Gorn; 09-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
You can laugh at me all you want but I do have a degree in Automotive technology and I am a GM/ASE Master tech and I have been working on EFI since the mid 80’s. I have been dealing with these chips since then and with people who say they are great. Like I said 95% of the people that buy them uninstall them in less than a week. (You saw the review I posted?) ANY I mean ANY company that will not stand behind it product is a CON. How can a add on chip give you better gas mileage then a dyno tune? Dyno tunes are engine specific so if you have low then stock compression it will add more timing. Yet no one in the Dyno world will claim 10% increase in fuel mileage.
Like I said if the company could prove a 10% increase they would have millions of orders by the end of the weekend. It is possible to lean a motor out to improve mileage but that would be against the law and it would damage the Cat and could damage the motor. If you really saw that big a different when you installed the chip I suggest you remove the chip and take your car to a mechanic and get it fixed.

This chip plugs into sensors? Then it does not communicate with the PCM. This is how it work. The PCM output 5 volts to a sensor. It is expecting a changed signal back. It is looking for say 1.5 volts it is not a communication port, all the “Chip” can do is make that 1.5 volts 1.4 volt or it could be real fancy and it could make it 1.6 volts. The sensor input can only report a voltage to the PCM NOTHING more. Your chip has to be a resistor, it can be a variable resistor but it is a resistor. The only communication port to the PCM is ALDL port under the dash if it is not plugged into that it is NOT talking to the PCM.
The calibration you are talking about is the computer re-learning how to deal with your chip. Your computer learns how you drive and it makes up for variations in all your systems anytime you remove the power this is lost and it resets to original factory settings. 95% customers never notice the re-learn process. One of our quick checks for EFI is to clear the memory and see how the car runs on the factory settings. If it runs poorly the first minute or so something is still out of wack.
You still laughing?
You are very wise sensei, I think you are my GM/ASE certified hero lol

Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Gorn I put a chip in my 3.4 and I got 800hp now so what are you talking about.. I can beat a viper....lmao... chips are for noobs

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM

thanks for all that usefull info

Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
Gorn I put a chip in my 3.4 and I got 800hp now so what are you talking about.. I can beat a viper....lmao... chips are for noobs
Only if you gut the cat!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My apologies guys. I didn't realize how much was involved. Experience speaks volumes.