93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Default 3.4

hey everyone new here just purchased camaro for my wife is there a chip upgrade or just a waste of time any info would be great thanks

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Droid

Won't matter much. When you start at 0 and multiply it by 100, it is still 0. Just keep that small engine in good tune and enjoy the ride. You need to throw a lot of cash and effort at the 3.4 in order to make a noticeable difference.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Default 3.4

thanks for the reply

Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM

check this out it should help you out alot as more of a guide
https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...modding-25112/

Old 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Also check out Socoms build at the top with the all the stickies its fun to read with alot of pictures.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Exhaust and CAI are probably the only performance improvements worthwhile on the 3.4L, suspension is totally worth it, however...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Default 3.4

thanks for all the info ill check it out

Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ron316
hey everyone new here just purchased camaro for my wife is there a chip upgrade or just a waste of time any info would be great thanks
You might want to consider the Volo performance chip. I researched chips a couple of years ago, and went with this one for my 95 with a 3.4. My car is in excellent condition, and was two years ago when I installed this chip. Still, I instantly gained 4 MPG, and have since, the motor smoothed out a bit, throttle is more responsive, and a noticeable increase in power. These chips are only $89.00, and the install is easy. Check out the web site!
As others have said, a 3.4 is a 3.4 and you can only do a few easy enough mods/improvements. But this one I would recommend.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 AM

hey thanks for the info

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by royco95
You might want to consider the Volo performance chip. I researched chips a couple of years ago, and went with this one for my 95 with a 3.4. My car is in excellent condition, and was two years ago when I installed this chip. Still, I instantly gained 4 MPG, and have since, the motor smoothed out a bit, throttle is more responsive, and a noticeable increase in power. These chips are only $89.00, and the install is easy. Check out the web site!
As others have said, a 3.4 is a 3.4 and you can only do a few easy enough mods/improvements. But this one I would recommend.

Do you have any Dyno number to back that up? Below is only review I found form a source NOT connected to the sale or manufacturer. This is what I would expect from any GM OBD car. Most of the “Chips” are just 2 dollar resistors that make your car run a little richer. If your car has an issue that it is running lean to start with then the chip seems to make the car run much better all around. (That is all the manufacture need is 1 in 100 so they can post “real” emails) If the car is running well with no problems the computer will try to adjust out the anomaly the chip caused and it screws up the factory tune. The ones that work actually allow you to adjust the resistance like a volume switch but you really should do that on a Dyno. If you are spending the money on a dyno you might as well get a real tune not just tweak a resister.
Trust me when I say if there was a way to increase fuel mileage 10% and still pass emissions the company would sell Millions in a matter of days. Their 1/5 rating on the return policy tells me they are in it for a quick buck and they know some application will NOT work.

9. Volo Car Performance Chip VP12 Reviews
Ordering Process: 1/5
Shipping Speed: 1/5
Customer Service: 1/5
Return Policy: 1/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 1/5 (For each vehicle tested we noticed a loss of 6-9 HP)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (We notice huge losses in MPG. These varied from 2-7 MPG.)
Cost of product: $89.95
NOTE: This chip uses circuitry that didn't work on our test vehicle. We do NOT recommend this chip.

There is nothing new about these chips. They where around in the 80’s. Here is how it has worked in the past. Guy gets a plastic housing designed. He gets some cheap labor company to assemble it and orders 5,000 of them. He then gives away a few hundred. He gets about dozen letters telling how great the chips are. The other 288 get thrown away. Now he can post quotes right from the emails and not worry about being called a fraud. He then pushes the link everywhere he can. He sells as many as he can. Most people that buy them uninstall them within the week and never post about it because they are worried they will look dumb. After a year or two the search engine start to show real reviews, most pros would never waste money dyno testing a product like this but some young kid that does not know the scam has a dad with a dyno and at some point it gets tested and the results get posted. That is the beginning of the end. Once sales drop low enough the close up shop and start all over again under a different name. This was a lot easier before the internet because magazines where always careful not to print something that could come back on them.

There is no replacement for research. There are guys out there with 3.4 and access to Dynos. These are not in any way shape or form newer motors, just about everything has been tried. If something would really help these 3.4’s it would spread like wild. Even one post from a respected form member would cause a ripple effect a crossed dozens of Camaro forms in a matter of days. You would have entire communities ordering the $89 chips and comparing before and after pocket dynos by the end of the week. It would get reverse engineered and radio shack part number would get posted. None of this has happened. I wonder why?

Last edited by Gorn; 08-31-2011 at 09:59 AM.