93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1998 V6 heater hose connection - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM

thanks osduck for the info

Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

One of my heater hoses broke off at the connection part and I went to home depot got a barb fitting I think it was a 3/8 to 5/8 and I put the hose on the larger threaded side and hoes clamped it and the smaller end into the old connection part with epoxy let it set over night then hooked it up its been over a year now still good. just make sure you really clean the epoxy side.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM

I have been reading through this post trying to find a solution for this problem. I had to replace the heater hoses and hose connections on my 1998 3.8 camaro. The dealership wanted way too much for the metal fittings and the hose kit is outrageously over priced as well. I did some research on the internet to find a replacement at a better price. I found a replacement kit. I bought it, installed it and it works perfectly. They do not point in the wrong direction and plus the upper connection has a ¾ fitting so no rubber hose adapter is needed. I must share this information with my fellow posters here on the board.

If you have this problem to they have the perfect solution for you!

You can find the fix online at www.v6fixit.com

As they say on there webpage once the old hose assembly is off it only takes about 15 minutes to have the new parts on.

In my opinion this is a perfect fix for the GM heater hose problem.

Who ever came up with this design deserves our thanks, check them out!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

I will also post my $10 mod for this...it got on my last damn nerve..but i figured out a solution, its been in place for over 2 years...no leaks..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM

There is a Better WAY
OK …so after getting sticker shock on the GM OEM Heater hose assembly at $180 and learning I’d have to wait a week or more I decided to take the advice from Gorn and osduck5.
I went to the dealership for the second time and ordered the two adapters (1 - GM part# 12570305 adapter and 1 GM part# 24504476 adapter) with tax and shipping it was just over $70. (By the way… the dealership didn’t even know about the GM adapters that were suggested here on the forum)
Then I went to the parts store and got the ¾” and 5/8”hoses, (6) hose clamps, bolts to fit the belt tensioner, new coolant, radiator flush and the restrictor /adapter. Before I started, I power washed off the nasty rusty gunk that got spewed all over the place from the leak. On a side note… be sure you replace the radiator hoses too if you haven’t done so …You don’t want to be messing with them on the side of the road at night either. J
The install was easy except for removing the old hose assembly bracket where it is bolted to the frame down low, behind the wheel well. I ended up cutting this bracket off smooth with the top of the frame because I didn’t want to have to take the motor mount loose to get to the Torx head bolt holding this to the frame. (What a pain! engineers should be forced to work on what they design!)
I installed the adapters, connected the hoses with the plastic adapter/reducer in line, which is required to change between the 5/8” adapter size and the ¾” heater core connection and the job was done once I flushed out he system and put the new coolant in.
The only problem was it looks really stupid, with 2 pieces of 4’ long hoses coming out the front of the belt tensioner to the front of the engine bay and then making a U-turn back to the heater core. ( I guess the adapters were designed by the same engineer that put the bolt on the bracket where you can’t get to it)
Well after looking at this rubber hose menagerie I have found a better solution with an aftermarket fix. They’re a new style Heater hose connector /adapters. They point straight up out of the belt tensioner and only require 2’ of hose on each one and eliminate (2) of the hose clamps as well as the plastic restrictor that started all of this. The hose can be run straight back from the top of the connectors to the heater core. Plus it they are cheaper than what I spent at the dealership.
Check this out: http://www.v6fixit.com/

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am going to guess you did not look at the second page of this thread? Your about 10 weeks late.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Gorn you are correct sir.
I flat forgot to go to the second page before I wrote my last post.
WELL crud, not only am I 10 weeks late...
I guess this also makes me look pretty dumb too... Sort of like an engineer that puts a bracket bolt where you can't get to it.
After this little embarrassment, I won't forget to check the additional pages!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by ztoolman
Gorn you are correct sir.
I flat forgot to go to the second page before I wrote my last post.
WELL crud, not only am I 10 weeks late...
I guess this also makes me look pretty dumb too... Sort of like an engineer that puts a bracket bolt where you can't get to it.
After this little embarrassment, I won't forget to check the additional pages!
And worse, they make that bolt a torx-head.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gorn
As a general rule you have to buy the hose from GM. There are some FWD cars that that have a different set up. I am not sure if your hoses are long enough. You will most likely need to makeup a whole new hose. I will look for you part number when I get a chance. You can try to search on this site.

i used something very similar to this on my 96 v6 and it workd amazingly havent had a single drop leak out ever since