93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1998 v6 Automatic Camaro Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Yes that combind with a mechanic reaction to hearing it. I can hear a failing engine at 20 feet. Sometimes it can be tuff to figure out where a noise is coming from and sometimes there is no question.
Well I had a couple look at it. The one thinks the engine is more or less done for, he says it's probably one of the connecting rods, but I don't think he really even took a look at it. The other thinks it may be a problem with the catalytic converter and possibly the flex plate.

On one hand, the guy offering the more optimistic look at it (the flex plate/converter problem) is a guy I know personally. So there's the fact that he may just be saying that to keep my hopes up, but then maybe since he's a personal friend, and the other's not, the other's just trying to rip me off 4300 bucks..which'd suck..

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Checking to see if the cat is plugged is a simple test. Cracks in the flex plate can be tuff because then can crack around the crank bolts. I dont know how to expain it but the flex plate has a more "tinny" sound.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Well we're gonna get it lifted up for ourselves and look around in the inspection hole, try replacing the catalytic converter and a few other things. Also thinking about taking the spark plugs out one at a time to test if there's a cylinder not working correctly or something.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Let's hope it's just something simple like the cat.

What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Is it worth fixing if there's something more wrong?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
Let's hope it's just something simple like the cat.

What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Is it worth fixing if there's something more wrong?
It's definitely in good shape otherwise, even the mechanic we took it to agreed for it's year. The dealer we bought it from said they'd put in all new valves and what not and the previous owner has a dual flowmaster exhaust system on it. I'd like fixing it if it isn't too costly. But let's say it is a bad catalytic converter. What might have been the cause for it going bad? (beside it possibly being low-grade, leaded gas) Don't really want it happening again.

Last edited by DarkHart; 07-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Overdrive Member

If you bought it from the dealer, don't they cover it with a warranty for at least 30 days? If so, bring it back for them to fix!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Nah..the warranty was an extra $100..I was gonna do it, but then my dad said not to ._. ..So we bought it "As is".

Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 PM

YouTube - ‪Rattling - Catalytic converter?‬‏

Made a video of what it sounded like when I'd rev it.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Well..Case closed I guess..I took it to an official Chevy dealer the other day, he took a look at it and told me the lower bearings were shot basically..Getting a new engine in about a day since I know a guy who could install it for me for like 500 dollars..Is what it is I guess

Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Its the motor. No doubt about it. Are you putting in a new motor? Did you find a used one? $500 is pretty cheap for the install. If it is a used motor you want to get the intake resealed. It is a very common issue with the 3800 and the job is a pain with the motor in the car and a quick job with the motor out.

Quick Reply: 1998 v6 Automatic Camaro Issues