93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1998 v6 Automatic Camaro Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Default 1998 v6 Automatic Camaro Issues

Alright, so I got this car about two to three weeks ago or so, the first problem I noticed almost immediately was that it's leaking oil. Still not sure where it's coming from but we have a few ideas on it, being there's a dent in the oil pan. Gonna try tightening the bolts on the oil pan gasket and replacing the pcv valve. But that aside, I have a bit of a bigger problem that just came up. I was driving the car uphill and maybe 10 seconds after we'd gotten to the top, it seemed fine. But then, with my foot still on the gas, the engine just cut out and I coasted into someone's driveway to put some oil in and see if that helped. (Carry at least a quart of oil with me everywhere because of the leak) That didn't help much at all, we started it back on, and it stalled on the way back to my friend's house and in his driveway just as we were stopping. Also, when trying to accelerate, it does it at a much slower rate than normal and the engine makes a sort of sputtering/rattling sound, especially when going over like 2000-3000 rpms. Also, I forgot to mention that when it's idling the oil gauge reading is very low, like practically in the red. When I start going though, it'll go up slightly, but only very slightly, and the check gauges light will go on and off at parts.

It seems to have a hard time getting out of the first couple gears, I didn't really wanna push it so much though. It sounds to be more serious than just a fuel filter or fuel pump problem, it sounds more like something wrong with engine. Thinking it might possibly need to be rebuilt. Not sure what I can do to go about fixing this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Notes:
- Just replaced the air filter
- Had a full tank of gas
- Seemed to overheat a bit after driving with the rattling sound
- Drives rough
- About 78,000 miles on it
- Leaks oil around in the middle if not near the back of the engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vch3pYI5dfM

Last edited by DarkHart; 07-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Clean everything real good -- it will help you to isolate and locate the oil leaks. Rear of engine sounds like a rear main seal, but when you drive oil sprays front to back when it leaks. Just another reason to clean everything real good first.

Get your car scanned and post the codes here -- many parts stores like Advance Auto will scan it for free...

Running rough could mean you need plugs/wires -- try inspecting the plugs to start. WRT overheating -- does your coolant color and consistency look normal? Inspect/replace your thermostat (cheap).

Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Well, I found the problem lied with the cam down in the engine or something or other..and the guy I contacted said it'd be cheaper just to get a whole new engine rather than rip it apart and rebuild it.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A Cam issue is Very rare on a 3800 with under 200K on it. The source for this info? Because it sure sounds like a Fuel filter/fuel pump or clogged Catalytic converter.

Low oil pressure at idle by itself is pretty common and not a big deal as long as it goes up with RPMs. The factory gages are not real accurate either.

If it is a cam that would be something in your oiling system has failed and a used low miles or a recondition motor would be cheaper then a complete rebuild. A GM crate motor is going to set you back $2300 but still cheaper then a complete rebuild.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Unless the car has never had an oil change, I highly doubt a cam issue. I agree with Gorn. I wouldn't rule out a spark issue as well like Liberty said.(plugs, wires, coils)

Edit: I forgot to add, Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited by vanquishfist; 07-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Eh, I'm not entirely sure, it's getting looked at either way..I'm pretty certain though there's already internal damage done to the engine, saw some shiny particles in the oil and just from the way it sounds, that's what I'm assuming.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Shiny particles in the oil? Well that could change everything...

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM

So I did some looking into it, and I think Gorn may at least be partially right. All my symptoms more or less point to it being a problem with the catalytic converter. It kinda "chokes" and stalls out every so often and has a tough time rising in RPMs, also making a sort of rattling noise, but I'm not sure if that would be related to the converter. I had a friend look at it, and he was saying it might possibly be the flex plate, like that it may be cracked or damaged in some way.

Any advice yet would be very helpful..I'd taken it to a garage and the guy there didn't more than so much as to start it up and say straight away it was an engine problem and that he'd need $4300 to fix it..I don't wanna be getting ripped off here so again, help is appreciated. Ask any questions about it and I'll answer 'em best I can.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
Shiny particles in the oil? Well that could change everything...
Yes that combind with a mechanic reaction to hearing it. I can hear a failing engine at 20 feet. Sometimes it can be tuff to figure out where a noise is coming from and sometimes there is no question.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

The rattle cam be the exhaust pipe. I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the cat but it turned out to be a loose exhaust pipe. As for hard to rev does it seam kinda sluggish and have a mumbled tone? Also try to wack the cat a few times to see if that helps or pull the O2 sensor out that just before the cat and see if that helps at all.

Quick Reply: 1998 v6 Automatic Camaro Issues