shifter problem

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Default shifter problem

I have a '96 5-speed. When I got it, the shifter was off to the left a bit in neutral. It didn't have any effect on the shifting though. After I replaced all motor/transmission mounts, it is too far back as well. So far back it won't fully go into 2nd or 4th, because it hits the console. I actually have to drive with the top part of the console removed. Here are a few pics. A PO seems to have sawn off the shaft to install a different ****. Is this the stock shifter? It feels pretty tight whatever it is.

Name:  KIMG0015.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  75.2 KB

I know there is a bolt missing, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Name:  KIMG0017.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  70.6 KB

What is this bushing on the right? Could it be part of the problem?

Name:  KIMG0020.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  78.8 KB

Thanks for looking.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Whatever the problem was, it went away after installing a Hurst Billet//Plus shifter. It still goes to the left but maybe that's normal. Works fine now.

Name:  KIMG0021.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  82.5 KB

Last edited by peter_x; 08-03-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shifter to the fork was probly bent.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by craby
shifter to the fork was probly bent.
Oh ok... makes me wonder if a fork itself could be bent. It's a bit notchy if you move it side to side in neutral... almost as if there are two detente positions. I don't think the old shifter was doing this but it shifts ok for now. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nice Install!!!
I noticed on mine that the whole tranny is tilted to the left for some reason.
On what I believe to be the stock shift lever, there is a bend to the right to correct this tilt in the trans itself.
These are not too complicated of a tranny. You COULD remove it, pull the tail housing, and remove the top cover to inspect the shift rail and forks. BOTH synchros are on the main shaft at the top, so replacing them does not require a full teardown.

Just throwing it out there- kinda brainstorming. I hope that's cool.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Ditto on the nice install. Looks good.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I wonder why changing the mounts moved the assembly back so much?

I'm at a loss for a minute... Did you use stock mounts or poly mounts?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by IDCamaro1994
Nice Install!!!
I noticed on mine that the whole tranny is tilted to the left for some reason.
On what I believe to be the stock shift lever, there is a bend to the right to correct this tilt in the trans itself.
These are not too complicated of a tranny. You COULD remove it, pull the tail housing, and remove the top cover to inspect the shift rail and forks. BOTH synchros are on the main shaft at the top, so replacing them does not require a full teardown.

Just throwing it out there- kinda brainstorming. I hope that's cool.

GOOD LUCK!!
Good to hear it's not too complicated. The shifter does go to the right to compensate the trans going to the left (I have it in neutral in the pic). When I put the console back on, it's still a bit to the left of center in the boot but I guess it's meant to be that way. After all it's easier to reach for the driver.

Originally Posted by IDCamaro1994
I wonder why changing the mounts moved the assembly back so much?

I'm at a loss for a minute... Did you use stock mounts or poly mounts?
I think the shifter was tweaked back and the bad mounts compensated for it a bit. So when I put the new ones on I couldn't move it all the way back. I replaced the trans mount with a poly but there are no poly engine mounts available for 3800's, so I used regular ones.

Last edited by peter_x; 11-02-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is that a T5 from a S-10 pick up? Does it have a torque arm re-locator on it? The t5 is installed in a lot of different cars and trucks. The Camaro t5 is different because it is designed on a tilt. The bell housing bolt pattern sits on an angle so the trans can sit up in the tunnel better. If you install a Camaro T5 in a S10 (if I remember right) the shift is tilted towards the passengers seat, I have never seen a S10 trans in a Camaro because of the torque arm ( or lack of a torque arm mount) but it would make sense that it would tilt towards the drivers seat.

Or maybe it just the angle of the picture?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...llhousings.jpg

Last edited by Gorn; 11-02-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by peter_x
Thanks for the replies.

Good to hear it's not too complicated. The shifter does go to the right to compensate the trans going to the left (I have it in neutral in the pic). When I put the console back on, it's still a bit to the left of center in the boot but I guess it's meant to be that way. After all it's easier to reach for the driver.

I think the shifter was tweaked back and the bad mounts compensated for it a bit. So when I put the new ones on I couldn't move it all the way back. I replaced the trans mount with a poly but there are no poly engine mounts available for 3800's, so I used regular ones.
Just wondering... Did you use the Energy Suspension trans mount?

I tried that mount and it did not fit correctly, even though the store specified it as fitting the V6. I had to go with the stock Trans mount.

I wonder if that could be your problem, because I noticed that there is not enough back-spacing or drop in the poly mount...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shifter problem