Reverse Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Default Reverse Grinding

Hi guys i just bought a used 94 v6 camaro with 184000 miles its a manual and the reverse grinds and pops out of gear if gassed to hard. If i start the car in reverse its a bit better as far as not grinding but it will start to slightly. Also if i just light do gas to back up it still grinds lightly but not as hard. In order to back up i have to basically go very slow or it will grind and force it out of gear into neutral. Has anyone had this problem or know what this could be?? Ive been told maybe the clutch or reverse synchronizers so if anyone could help me please? and thank you

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look for another trans and see what you can find that will work. gears are goin or something is bent. you may be able to find a good used trans for less than a rebuild will cost

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Alright so you believe its a trans issue?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
4th Gear Member

I suggest changing the reverse selection before condemning the trans.
As engine is running, push in clutch pedal and select fourth gear, to stop the gears from turning, then select reverse. Most trans, reverse is not synchronized.

But, you must ensure when clutch is disengaged, nothing is turning in trans. If clutch is dragging ever so slightly, reverse will be hard to engage.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep, if you are able to work on a trans then yes do the work

Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 PM

ok this may seem like a dumb question but what type of transmission is in the v6 94 camaro manual bc im trying to find used ones

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is a T5, I think if needs to be a 4th gen camaro T5.

Reverse is a non- sync'ed gear the first thing people notice what the pressure plate is failing is that rev grinds. 99% of the time when a customer shows up complaining about reverse grinding it is because the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Think of it this way if you start the car with the clutch in (it should not start any other way) and you try to put it into reverse and it grinds, what is grinding? The clutch has been pushed NOTHING in the trans should be turning if the clutch is doing its job. Poping out of gear is another story. How long has it been grinding? You may have waited too long or if you have to push to hard you may have bent the shift fork.

Before you ask, the forward gear are synchronized. As long as the cluch is still partially disengaging the forward gear will not grind they will just require a little hard push.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-01-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Ok thanks and i made a big mistake and bought it without checking the reverse gear out assuming it worked fine bc all the forward gears did so i dont know how long its been grinding for sure. but it still lets me reverse a small bit then grinds. like it wont let me get to the point where my foot is off the clutch and completely on the gas or itll grind really hard

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mack40
Ok thanks and i made a big mistake and bought it without checking the reverse gear out assuming it worked fine bc all the forward gears did so i dont know how long its been grinding for sure. but it still lets me reverse a small bit then grinds. like it wont let me get to the point where my foot is off the clutch and completely on the gas or itll grind really hard
Everytime you grind you are damaging the gears. Start in with it in reverse until you can get a clutch sorted out. Your not doing the syncs in the forward gears a lot of good with that clutch not disengaging. It could also be a master or slave cyinder failing. The 3.4 have a couple of issues with the slaves including mounting issues.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the way i read it, even holding hard its popping out of gear and grinding. gona have to take the trans out and have a look inside, im thinking at the least replace reverse gear and like gorn is saying you should replace the clutch and pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Reverse Grinding