Limp mode? Need help

Old 11-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Default Limp mode? Need help

I have a 96 camaro stock automatic witch started acting real wierd, limited 40 MPH woudnt shift out of third, took it to autozone to get the code ran and it was shift selonoid b, replaced the shift selonoid and am still having the same issue, car is in a “limp home mode”

Old 11-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So now you know it's not the solenoid, common mistake. I presume you are getting code PO755? There are a few possible causes in addition to the shift solenoid; a wiring circuit issue, an internal fluid flow blockage, badly contaminated or low fluid level, an actual mechanical issue with the transmission, a bad pcm/tcm. A complete trans fluid flush could take care of your problem, how many miles are on it?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
So now you know it's not the solenoid, common mistake. I presume you are getting code PO755? There are a few possible causes in addition to the shift solenoid; a wiring circuit issue, an internal fluid flow blockage, badly contaminated or low fluid level, an actual mechanical issue with the transmission, a bad pcm/tcm. A complete trans fluid flush could take care of your problem, how many miles are on it?
133k it’s not low on fluid and the fluid was clean as a whistle no metal on the magnet in pan it was real nice. Car has been taken real good care of. I’m just not sure of what the next step is... transmission has never ever acted up slipped or even began to become a concern... just not sure what the next step is? Thank you for the response and hope you have another quick response back because at this point I’m just lost. Actually was code PO756 shift solenoid b stuck or bad I’m 100% it was installed correctly. Do I need to reset the codes in the computer? Is it still in the computer making it continue to go into the limp mode?

Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We have a term for replacing a computer senor or actuator without any testing, we call it throwing parts at the problem. On newer cars throwing parts at a car has a better chance of success because the wiring is newer and less likely to have problems. As a car ages the chance of a broken wire , bad ground or failed connector goes up. There is no way to short cut the diagnose tree in the manual, (you may find the manual in the manual section on this sight.) Making assumptions about what is and what is not wrong is a mistake. When trouble shooting a problem try not to have preconceived known good or bad just follow the tree. As a GM tech I was called in to help with problem cars and I have seen trained techs make assumption and cause themselves to run in circle. Example, You replaced the solenoid so you assume that is not the problem. WRONG, defective parts off the self is not as uncommon as you think even from GM, aftermarket is 10 time more likely to have a defect. As a tech I use to keep know good parts for testing issues that did not set hard codes. Once I knew by my known good part that the old parts was the issue I would get a new part from the parts department then make sure that the new part also worked.

Let look at your assumption the issue is not the trans because there is no sign of heavy wear. Many transmission failures are instant, this can be cause by a stuck valve or a torn seal, even metal failure may not leave anything in the pan if a weld is broke or something sheared clean but seals would be the most common, it could be as simple a the seal in the accumulator. That is a $4 parts that take 15 minutes to replace or it can be the seal in the clutch pack which means rebuild time.

Open loop, LHM will not cause the PCM to not try to shift. I will effect shift points and how hard it shifts. There is one thing I would do quickly, I would clear the code and see when it resets. If it resets instantly it is most likely a electrical issue, in my opinion an easy one to find because it is instant it would indicate a broken or shorted connection/wire or PCM failure. If it sets the first time it tries to shift into gear then it could be hardware/trans related but you still want to start with the manual trouble tree.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM

We found a burnt wire.. hopefully that will fix thank all of you for the reply’s and help.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Replying to say the burnt wire ran to front breaks not anything to do with my current issue.. still needing assistance.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you clear code and see if it returned instantly? I hope you are not looking for someone to type what the manual says. You might get someone to post a few pages of the manual if you can not find one.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Did you clear code and see if it returned instantly? I hope you are not looking for someone to type what the manual says. You might get someone to post a few pages of the manual if you can not find one.
yes reset code and is not back.. I’m not sure what manual he is talking about and what repair tree.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

GM shop repair manual, the same one the techs use. There are some PDFs located in the manual section at the bottom of this main page. A codes have a tree, Basic its a bunch of if then statements. If you drive it is it working now?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
GM shop repair manual, the same one the techs use. There are some PDFs located in the manual section at the bottom of this main page. A codes have a tree, Basic its a bunch of if then statements. If you drive it is it working now?
no.. is still in limp mode. We drove it about .6 miles to a buddy’s who has a lift to check for burnt wires found the abs wire for front passenger wheel was burnt now abs light is off. So that’s good... I guess still limp mode nothing fixed... still sitting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limp mode? Need help