Death to T5

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011 | 11:49 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Default Death to T5

I have a 99 v6 camaro with the t5 manual transmission. I bought the car last year it had 150000 miles now it has 180000, I like to drive it. Well about three months after I got it (december) if I revved the car in neutral I heard a metallic rattle coming from the transmission. After a month or two this went away. I had no problems with it until june. I was driving down the highway in 5th gear went to pass in 4th gear, then tried to put it back in 5th. Couldnt get the shifter in 5th gear. The next day I discovered that under certain speed smoothness of shifting or other thing i could nudge the shifter into 5th sometimes clean othertimes with a grind. But most of the time I just cruise in neutral going back and forth from 4th to 5th to get it to shift into 5th. It works after awhile. But also that summer I noticed that from a large hill (someones driveway) rolling backwards in neutral or in reverse made a weird noise that sounds awful. sounds like parts are moving really fast. Like a rc car the electric noise it makes when it is moving except think of it as lower and increases as the speed backwards does. No idea what that is does anyone have the same? Not to mention reverse is hard to engage sitting still I have to let the clutch out alittle to pop it in. but no grinding or anything. Now about a month ago 2nd gear started to block me it has a 2 step engage. I pull the shifter in hard to go all the way in gear or it will hit the first stop and if i apply the clutch pop out. I really have to pull hard to pop it in all the way from that first pop. In addition to that at times 1st gear wont engage and I have to slam it in really hard. This is at a stop by the way. So anyone have any ideas on what the problems are? Im thinking synchros. for 1st/2nd and 5th/reverse. 3rd/ 4th give me no trouble. Another weird thing it started doing in august this year is that going down the road it will jerk in any gear like I pressed in the clutch really fast and realeased really fast like dumping it. It will shudder and sometimes feels like the car just hit the brakes hard for a split second. Now its gotten worse in 2nd gear. In second gear after I have just shifted to it let the clutch out and a second later I will hear a tire screech and the car jerks hard. Im pretty sure the transmission is locking up when that happens. Sometimes I can catch it right before it happens and push in the clutch. I know I described alot of problems but just wondering if anyone knows the causes. Im going to rebuild it after I replace it with a junkyard transmission and new clutch and shifter. Also anyone know where to buy a rebuild kit with better syncros and possibly gears? Thanks for the help btw Im just going to drive it till it gives up (transmission, not engine). I know its messed up I dont baby it either. Not really worried about it just curious as to why. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by JeepGuy12; 03-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anytime a clutch does not disengage completly it can cause shifting like bad syncs. Also the delay sounds more like clutch slipage. There is nothing in a manual trans that will allow for slipage besides the clutch. It either works or its broken, No "delay". Your car will always not "work right" if you are moving and your try to put it in reverse. Reverse does not have syncs. It is designed non-movement engagment only.

I am not saying there is nothing wrong with your trans but most of what you decribed could be caused by a failing pressure plate spring. Watch out about buying cheap clutchs. Make sure you find reviews on whatever brand you buy, The is a lot of China crap out there what will not last a year.

Old 03-24-2011 | 07:28 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for that. I have been thinking its the clutch with the recent problems. But does the whining noise when driving in reverse or neutral rolling backwards sound like a transmission or rear axle problem? Or does it normally sound like that. Btw when I shift into 2nd I get a clunk noise from the trans. So stay away from autozone or other parts kits? Maybe centerforce clutch kit? Thanks

Old 03-24-2011 | 09:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the whining in rev is because its a straight cut gear all manual transmissions make that noise ya stay away from autozone there junk if you want to spend the money for the centerforce go for it but on a stock setup its overkill

Old 03-24-2011 | 10:58 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

What about Sachs Clutch kit from Oreillys is that one good? A suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks for letting me know about that. I get looks from people when I roll out of their driveway like my car is breaking or something.

Old 03-25-2011 | 03:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

im not a big fan of anything from parts stores theres a reason there called discount parts