2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death of a 3.8...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Default Death of a 3.8...

So, I had a magical experience this week.

On Thanksgiving night, while moving on down the road, the engine locked up on my 2010 Camaro. No indicators came on till after the fact, it just seized up and died. The next day, after finally getting it to a dealership not filled with mental midgets, it was discovered that the O-ring in the oil filter housing failed, and managed to dump 4 quarts out of the engine. Never got any kind of low oil, low oil pressure or any other indicators. The only code after the fact that came up, was the number 3 cylinder was misfiring. Riiight.

Anyway, the dealership is pretty sure the warranty will cover it, but they need to hear back from the GM rep first. Whatever, it has only been serviced at Chevy dealerships, so someone with a Bowtie is paying for a new engine.

However, I am now stuck in Minnesota, when my life and job are in Alabama.

Does anyone know if the warranty will cover a rental car while this slab of metal is in the shop? And will they ship the car back home, or do I need to come all the way back up here to pick it up once they stuff a new motor in it? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I Like to Party

Im not sure if the rental car is under their policy, have you tried asking? (not to sound like a smart a$$). They usually wouldnt ship it so unfortunately you may need to go back and get it; and what about the engine? they told you it was done for? I would think they would take care of the cylinder and refill it with oil? I know when an engine staves for oil its never a good thing but you need a whole new engine?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would settle for nothing less than a new motor. i think its a 3.6 by the way. depends on what kind of warranty you have. gm will most likely not cover anything other than the repairs. a independent warranty would depend on the kind of coverage was paid for.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I Like to Party

True, cant risk driving off a lot knowing your engine went through all that pain

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM

They are torn between trying to blame the dealership in Alabama for messing it up, or saying it is warranty work, so I don't want to ask too much before I know which way this is going to go. Should find out tomorrow.

Yeah, I figure them actually shipping the car is a long shot, but from looking around the intertubes, a rental car doesn't seem like too much to expect, of course, considering I need to take it to Alabama and keep it until the work is done(and apparently the engines are hard to come by, according to the dealership) it might be awhile.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I Like to Party

Well at least it's no blood on your hands, seems like whatever comes next, they will be the one replacing the engine so even though it might be a bit, be thankful not a dime of it is yours

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Standard warranties do not included replacment cars, loaners or rentals. Some of the bigger dealership have cars for their regular customers, mostly for when they screw up. Lets say they take 4 days to rebuild a tranny. Your not getting a car. lets say you get the car back and 24 hours later it frys the rebuild tranny, now your getting a loaner.

I have seen customers passing thru with major warrainty motor work trade their cars in just so they would not miss a planned vacation. If another dealer screwed your car up that should have no effect on you. GM dealers have to repair each others work. If they are smart they wold not even bad month another dealer. GM does not like that. If I had a new motor installed at a GM dealer in my 1996 and they screwed it up and I then took it to another dealer because I was 30 miles away he has to fix it. He can request I take back, if its drivable but a phone car to GM customer service will get him working on it right away. No dealer want their CSI (customer service index) screwed up.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I Like to Party

Wow, haha so if the dealer knows they screwed up then they issue a loaner car? funny stuff

Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by iLL95
Wow, haha so if the dealer knows they screwed up then they issue a loaner car? funny stuff
Some do but the basic warranty clearly states GM is not responsible for a replacment car. The replacement car are normally higher miles car, Not junk but not worth a lot either.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I don't remember if I opted for a higher coverage plan or not when I bought the car. And of course, all my paperwork is back in Alabama...
Yeah, the guys up here had mentioned the dealership down south would have to take car of everything if they were found at fault. If I have to jump through a thousand hoops with no transportation for a month, then come all the way back up here just to pick up my car that blew up because GM put in a faulty part, my first act on getting this car back is trading it in for a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Death of a 3.8...