clutch is soft with grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default clutch is soft with grinding noise

A few days ago my 94 camaro T56 6 speed LT1 broken down. When this happened i was pushing in my clutch and heard a loud grind near my clutch pedal. I shut down the car immediately and pushed it back to my house.

What i want to know is could this be caused by no fluid in tranmission? i just got a new clutch and flywheel about 700 miles ago, so i know that the new clutch would take up more fluid. I have also done more research and it also could be my master cylinder and or slave cylinder.

What does this problem sound like to you? no fluid or bad slave/master? I did a physical inspection of the slave and master and i cannot see anything physically wrong with it like leaking fluid/kink in line.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Does the clutch disengage when you put the pedal down? Does the pedal come back up from the floor?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Does the clutch disengage when you put the pedal down? Does the pedal come back up from the floor?
yes it does.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You only mention getting a new clutch and flywheel. Were the only clutch parts replaced the disc? When doing a clutch job, replacing the flywheel is only necessary if it's chewed up, otherwise it can get dressed down. But what also gets replaced is the pressure plate, throwout (release) bearing, and the pilot bearing/bushing. If the plate and bearings were not replaced, you got a half ars job, and having problems down the line, however soon is not a surprise. Master and slave cylinders don't have to be changed at the same time, but are a good idea to do since they have as many miles as the clutch did unless previously replaced. Weak pedal could be the master or slave, could also be a worn pressure plate if the original. Grinding noise may be one of the bearings if they weren't replaced.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You only mention getting a new clutch and flywheel. Were the only clutch parts replaced the disc? When doing a clutch job, replacing the flywheel is only necessary if it's chewed up, otherwise it can get dressed down. But what also gets replaced is the pressure plate, throwout (release) bearing, and the pilot bearing/bushing. If the plate and bearings were not replaced, you got a half ars job, and having problems down the line, however soon is not a surprise. Master and slave cylinders don't have to be changed at the same time, but are a good idea to do since they have as many miles as the clutch did unless previously replaced. Weak pedal could be the master or slave, could also be a worn pressure plate if the original. Grinding noise may be one of the bearings if they weren't replaced.
Im sorry for not being specific but yes the pressure plate,throwout bearing and pilot bearing were all replaced. I got a full clutch assembly.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

For just a second forget about what happened before and describe what is happening now. Can you drive the car? What is not working? If and when does it grind?

Can put the non-running car in neutral, push the clutch in, Start it, then put it in reverse. How did it sound? If you do the entire process with the clutch pushed in there should be nothing in the transmission turning so there should be no grinding. If there is no grinding then your clutch or hydraulic system is not your issue.

What make pressure plate did you use? The internet is full of clutch review from China made pressure plates that did not last a month. Course that does not mean your hydraulic system is not the problem just more of "you can't be sure its not the clutch"

Last edited by Gorn; 04-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
For just a second forget about what happened before and describe what is happening now. Can you drive the car? What is not working? If and when does it grind?

Can put the non-running car in neutral, push the clutch in, Start it, then put it in reverse. How did it sound? If you do the entire process with the clutch pushed in there should be nothing in the transmission turning so there should be no grinding. If there is no grinding then your clutch or hydraulic system is not your issue.

What make pressure plate did you use? The internet is full of clutch review from China made pressure plates that did not last a month. Course that does not mean your hydraulic system is not the problem just more of "you can't be sure its not the clutch"
I cannot drive the car. The exact problem i am having right now is that when i press the clutch pedal down,to engage the clutch it makes a grinding noise and wont let me shift into any gear. Neutral is fine. Kupp Stage 3 is the clutch i have.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Fork could be bent or broke and is hitting the pressure plate. That would cause the grinding and wouldn't allow you shift into gear without revving the engine and matching rpms. Not an easy thing to do. The fork is the one downfall to the '93-97 M6's. The cast fork gets weak over time and there is no aftermarket replacement and OE is impossible to find without spending $300+. That's worse case. The other possibility is the t-bar worked itself loose and isn't allowing the fork to work as it should.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 04-01-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Another possibility is if the release bearing was installed on the fork the wrong way (lip of bearing slipped between the fork and spring clips). It's easy enough to do, but a mechanic would have to be a doofus to do that.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Another possibility is if the release bearing was installed on the fork the wrong way (lip of bearing slipped between the fork and spring clips). It's easy enough to do, but a mechanic would have to be a doofus to do that.
700 miles on a backwards bearing?

Originally Posted by warmeck
I cannot drive the car. The exact problem i am having right now is that when i press the clutch pedal down,to engage the clutch it makes a grinding noise and wont let me shift into any gear. Neutral is fine. Kupp Stage 3 is the clutch i have.
Trans need to come back out to see what happened. It is something at the release bearing to clutch or the input shaft on the trans.

Not to scare you but if whoever install the clutch allowed the weight of the trans to hang on the input shaft you may of a bad trans front bearing which is a lot worse then it sounds.

Quick Reply: clutch is soft with grinding noise