Clutch Pedal Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Exclamation Clutch Pedal Rattle

Hello!

MK Coconuts asked me to make a forum account and post whats going on. I just drove 4 hours yesterday to put up this camaro. Overall the car is in good shape. There are just 2 "Mechanical" issues with it. The first one, thats not top priority right now is when you are going 55+ you can hear a slight dragging sound. If you turn the wheel slightly left it goes away. If you go right it gets a little louder. There are times where you don't hear it. I heard it on and off driving it home, but that may be because I had the T-Tops off.

The 2nd and most important before anything else gets done is the clutch. You can feel the clutch pedal rattling and feel it through all the gears. It gets less and less as you go through. It extremely bad going into 1st and reverse. This is not the 1st time ive driven a manual but im no pro and i am still learning. Going into 1st or reverse you can hear what sounds like a rattling noise from the outside of the car as well. You can hear it in neutral slightly also. Depressing it fully does makes it go away.

From what I've already read, this is kinda a common problem with the t56 and there is no real "Fix" to the problem but I do feel what is going on with more is more than that. Going into 1st/reverse is almost an absolute nightmare with being able to hear and feel a very heavy rattling noise. Outside of those gears everything is fine and shifts perfectly.

Those are the only 2 "Mechanical" problems i have with the car everything else is just cosmetic that can wait. Any help is greatly appreciated! I got this for $1800 and I dont mind putting the money into but I dont want to waste it either! Thanks!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Of course with generic descriptions it is tuff to be sure what you problem is. Here is what comes to mind as I read your description.

When a wheel bearing goes bad it will rumble, As you turn the car the weight shifts from side to side. It is very common for a customer to complain about a noise when they turn left or right. The harder the turn the more deep the rumble. So in your case it would be the left wheel bearing. That does not mean you do not have a broken inner fender sometimes rubbing on the tire, or the chrome for inside the inner part of the rim is lifting up and rubbing. I have seen both but they are rare.

Trouble getting a car in first and reverse indicates the clutch is not fully disengaging. This can be cause by a failing hydraulic system or the pressure plate itself. The release bearing failure will cause all kinds of noise but you normally feel it in the clutch petal more then the shifter. Is there any noise sitting still? does the noise change with the RPMs of the motor or with the speed of the car? Based on what you said I am guessing it is the speed of the motor. That would indicate that IF it is a transmission issue it is with the input shaft or counter gear.

Your best bet is to take the car to a good transmission guy. Manual transmission are not hard to diagnose for someone that works on them. It would take the right set of ears less then 5 minutes to give you a run down of what needs done. Some places would do this as a quote process, then its up to you to walk away and do the work yourself or let them handle it. The trick is finding the right guy. Car shows are a great way to find information on who is the best. A good transmission guy is not someone that put new syncro in a Saginaw back in the 90's. A good transmission guy most likely has 3 transmission all a part waiting for the parts at any given time.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.