97 t56

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:57 PM
4th Gear Member
Default 97 t56

So my buddy bought a 97 Camaro with the T56. The car is in overall good condition, but needs some work. Any ways, trying to figure out this one little issue he has that's making it harder for him to get used to a manual. If you put your foot on the clutch pedal you can feel a rattle/vibration through it. You don't need to depress to feel it. When I see him tomorrow I'll make notes of when it does and doesn't do it.

My first thought is the throw out bearing. Any other thoughts or ideas to narrow it down? I don't want to see him just throw parts at it as it needs some cosmetic work that's gonna cost $$.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sure sounds like a release bearing to me.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Me three.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 AM

Hello!

MK asked me to make a forum account and post whats going on. I just drove 4 hours yesterday to put up this camaro. Overall the car is in good shape. There are just 2 "Mechanical" issues with it. The first one, thats not top priority right now is when you are going 55+ you can hear a slight dragging sound. If you turn the wheel slightly left it goes away. If you go right it gets a little louder. There are times where you don't hear it. I heard it on and off driving it home, but that may be because I had the T-Tops off. ha.

The 2nd and most important before anything else gets done is what MK posted about. You can feel the clutch pedal rattling. You can actually feel it through all the gears. It gets less and less as you go through. It extremely bad going into 1st and reverse. This is not the 1st time ive driven a manual but im no pro and i am still learning. Going into 1st or reverse you can hear what sounds like a rattling noise from the outside of the car as well. You can hear it in neutral slightly also. Depressing it fully does makes it go away.

From what I've already read, this is kinda a common problem with the t56 and there is no real "Fix" to the problem but I do feel what is going on with more is more than that. Going into 1st/reverse is almost an absolute nightmare with being able to hear and feel a very heavy rattling noise. Outside of those gears everything is fine and shifts perfectly.

Those are the only 2 "Mechanical" problems i have with the car everything else is just cosmetic that can wait. Any help is greatly appreciated! I got this for $1800 and I dont mind putting the money into but I dont want to waste it either! Thanks!

Last edited by Brabauer; 05-17-2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Typos