'93 Camaro Trans. Cranking All ofASudden makes fart noise and Doesnt go Drive or Rev

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear member
Default '93 Camaro Trans. Cranking All ofASudden makes fart noise and Doesnt go Drive or Rev

Recently added CRC Emission Tester Cleaner to Premium gas to pass upcoming smog.

Car drove well and smooth for 20 miles, I parked it and then started it and that's when problems made their presence:

On start Rpms were Ok, but then when changed gears car made percolating noise and grinded at one point in Drive

*It sorted of loudly rattled and cranked and vibrated at one point as you're seated in driver's seat to the right side of under the hood like near the fan belt, but the fan belt and hoses seemed intact.

It would not go forward even though it was on Drive and I pushed the needle to 55 mpm, it was totally idle

Same for reverse

Only neutral was the working shift which allowed me to safely park.

Do you think I need a rebuilt trans.?

Per other people in the area, this had nothing to do with the fuel injector cleaner used to pass smog, but like all Trans. problem it creeps out without notice or fair warning.

So. of the border near San Diego, CA on the American side, a competent guy charges $250 labor and a new Trans. for $400

This is way better than Amoco which a friend said charged him $2,500 including labor

Does anyone know if this is an easy fix?

I have a 4th gen. 1993 Camaro, 135,000 miles I babied her changing oil every 6 months and regularly checked all fluids; tune up last year. new tires. car wash etc.

By the way, there's enough Trans fluid in her.

When I start it up it sounds normal, it's just when I shift the auto. grears does this make a real noisy scary sound and there's not power

Seems somehow there's a disconnect

This is a bummer since my 44th birthday is next week
Any people here can help me please?

Any help would be immensely appreciated maybe I can buy you some coffee on facebook's gift certificate program

I will have to take care of this and put renewal of registration and smog problems on the backburner.

thanks for any help member-friends ...

Last edited by CamBigCat; 12-13-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so are you saying the car moved like in drive when in neutral? or did you have to push it to get it parked and only way it would move was in neutral

Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
so are you saying the car moved like in drive when in neutral? or did you have to push it to get it parked and only way it would move was in neutral
I pushed the autotransmission stick down to drive after it smoothly started up, pushed on the gas nothing forward, so I pushed harder and went to 55 mph, all idle, not moving forward yet in "drive,"

Then I put it in neutral and was able to push it to a safer area.

In reverse, the car would not go back even at 40 mph.

When I moved the stick then to park while the car was running it made a continuous cranking sound that could've been noise pollution =I was lucky I was in or around and office complex.

It sounds loud like near the fan belt it rattles, I was afraid the head gasket might blow.

It's probably a torque converter rod that is not connecting since it starts up fine at idle, yet when in drive or reverse it won't move.

Thanks for trying to help, Crab. you always give great advice.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

either something in the trans or the rearend is blown. if the speedometer is working then i would suspect the rearend is gone.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the driveshaft was moving when you tried to put it in park it would make a clicking noise and try to not go into park. sorta like putting in park while car is still moving... dont ask how i know that... lol

Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Jack up the rear, chock the fronts, start the car, put in gear and take a peek underneath and see if the drive shaft is moving or not.

If you can get a vid, that'd help out too.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear member

thanks for all your help. i am taking it to a competent mechanic on the american side of the san diego, ca border, his overhead is almost nothing and he charges $80 diagnosis and it's used towards the fix. $250 labor and $400 for a transmission, let's hope it's an easy fix, amoco charge $2,500 for a rebuilt Trans. but that was for a $10,000 customized van and they have more overhead. this guy operates near a desert and canyon area by a junkyard and his overhead is thus real low like no rent. I was real real worried, I blew something out since at drive, I revved it a 45 mph trying to get it go forward without success. maybe the front part of the trans. has a problem too since as I mentioned the front right rattles near the fan belt but the fan belt isn't cut and runs well.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear member

It starts up smoothly, yet changing gears rattled real bad and gave a scratchy crank until I either moved it into park or turned it off. Could there be permanent damage. I mean at drive I pushed the accelerated on drive for 50 mph and it wouldn't move. Is there a possibility the engine or other parts could have been damaged? It seems like the drive shaft might have broken pieces and need new seals. Any further comments would be greatly appreciated. God I hope this problem resolves itself before my 44th birthday this Tuesday.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well it aint going to fix itself. i still think the rearend is the problem. beak one or two gears and it makes noise and goes nowhere. are you sure you mean mph and not rpms. if it is mph then it has to be between the trans and the rear tires. either drive shaft or rearend

Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 PM
4th Gear Member

it's the rear end

if i were a betting man

Quick Reply: '93 Camaro Trans. Cranking All ofASudden makes fart noise and Doesnt go Drive or Rev