1998 Z28 Chevy Camaro

Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Default 1998 Z28 Chevy Camaro

Hi I am wanting to do a cam change. One of my lifters went. I took it to the dealer they confirmed it. I drove it some more they said just let the motor go. So I did and I believe the camshaft has been torn up. They told me that if I put a competition camshaft in I would just have to change something I the transmission. I am not sure what it is. Does anyone know. The guy said at the traffic light when I was stopped it would inch up even if I had my foot on the brake. He said that is why I needed to change something I the transmission. It is a LS1 motor and an automatic. I was upgrading to the next camshaft that was available. It was the next step above the oem camshaft. Do I have to change anything else if I buy a competition cam or has anyone ever tried this. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:20 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you listened to the dealer and "let the motor go" you probably shouldn't work on cars. There are plenty of write ups for cam swaps on ls1s. Usually lifters don't go out on those motors since they are roller lifters. Also, changing a cam has nothing to do with a transmission. You also can't just swap a cam in an ls1 without supporting mods/preventative maintenance. Things I would do are pushrods, valve springs/seats/locks, timing chain, oil pump, plugs and wires while your there.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 PM
4th Gear Member

I think what he meant was getting a higher stall converter for the upgraded cam. You will need that if you go too radical on the cam.

With that said, I agree 100 percent with Socom. Don't put a performance cam in the engine unless you plan on spending the money for all the supporting mods for the intake, exhaust, and heads. You should also have a garage find out what caused the cam/lifters to go. You likely have an oiling issue in the top end, but you should have heard the rockers ticking before the lifter went.

The dealership told you to "let the engine go" because then they'd talk you into replacing your whole engine, of which will come out of your pocket. More than likely they will opt for a reman'd engine which will cost ~$3k or $4k by itself, add in the cost of installation....

I would start taking your vehicles somewhere else. A good shop would have fixed the problem, not told you to keep running it.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Yeah MKCoconuts they said it was 2200 to replace the lifters. I checked around with other shops to this was the lowest price. This car had low oil and I had forgotten to check it and I took it out and the next thing I know it started ticking crazy. This car leaks oil from the valve covers and also the oil pan so I will change those gaskets and I might as well change the head gasket because it has a small leak their to. I didn't want to put 2200 dollars into lifters so I asked the gut to give me quotes 5400 to install and for the motor. This was the cheapest price I checked around on this to or 3500 for a used motor from the junkyard. So I told the guy I would just do a new motor later on. So he said the best thing to do is drive it let the motor go and then buy a brand new motor. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Oh yeah that was what he had said it would need a higher stall converter. Thanks