Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Default Wheel Hop

OK just purchased this vehicle. 99 Camaro v6. prior owner put cheap shocks on it, Monroe Sensa Craps or whatever they are called. ball joints were bad had a bad clunking sound when going over bumps, I replaced them and fixed the clunking noise, But when going over bumps at speeds about 45 when i hit a pretty good size bump i get wheel hop and car kinda bounces out of control. the shocks are brand new looking, i was reading on other forums to get bilsteins or konis, its just a every day driver, could someone help me with this issue, would those monroe shocks cause that wheel hop ? and is it worth it to put bilsteins on it ? and what type of bilsteins for a every day driver.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

The panhard bar controls a lot of the wheel hop in corners and bumps. Check its bushings or see if its split/cracked.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
The panhard bar controls a lot of the wheel hop in corners and bumps. Check its bushings or see if its split/cracked.
Ok Thanks for reply will do, Been waiting on getting a decent jack and stands to inspect suspension.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

If you've got a lot of miles on it, its likely many of the suspension components could be worn. Anything can cause wheel hop from bad control arm bushings to bad shocks. Once you get over 100k miles, it all should be replaced since the parts weren't designed to last forever.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Any set of Bilsteins will be better than those sensacraps.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Default Fender

Originally Posted by FBodyjunkie
Any set of Bilsteins will be better than those sensacraps.
Yea i replaced all ball joints and like i was saying it helped except for the wheel hop, Got under rear of car and noticed the panhard bar bushings are shot too. im guessing the wheel hop is caused by that. gets real loose when i am in a corner and hit a bump. i have another issue with my fender as well, I posted in another section but havent seen any replies, when i had the ball joints changed out and i got home noticed the passenger side fender was out like a 1/4 inch, went back to the shop and they told me they didnt have a clue about the fender and wasnt liable, looks like when it was on lift somehow the fender shifted, when i get under car everything looks normal, havent taken wheel off and wheel well cover yet, hoping its just a bolt or 2 on fender that is loose, here is the pics of it. hoping i can get some insight. thunderkiss2012's Library | Photobucket

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yep get that panhard bushing replaced and your issue should go away.

As for the fender issue, thats extremely common when shops don't know the correct lift points on the car. You can fix it yourself quite easily. Jack the car up and look underneath. A flange with 2 bolts hangs down vertically and keeps the fender tight, however, when a shop incorrectly lifts the car, this flange gets bent horizontal and causes the fender to bow out. You can probably find picture of the flange by searching google or ls1tech but it is easy to spot when you know what you are looking for

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

There you go! That's the pic you need lol

Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Lol it's the same person