Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

She's going to be turboed. This is my dd though, so I have to keep fuel economy in mind. Not to mention budget. There's a turbo being developed for the stock setup in the works now. So I'm waiting to that to be finished. So maybe within the next year or two that will happen. She's not going to be my official race car. She will always be a nice street car.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

That's awesome. I've been reading up a lot lately on Fullthrottlev6 and fquick and have been piecing together a turbo kit. After adding everything up, I'm trying to decide if I too am going to actually go that route. A lot of people have turboed these engines on stock internals with no real mods other than injectors, pump, and a tune.

I don't know how far into the planning you are for this, but are you planning on making custom FFH's or using stock manifolds? Or are you planning on trying to run it off of your Pacesetters?
Under or over K-member? What quality of turbo? A lot of people say the Ebay turbos are a waste of time, but I've also read from more experienced people that most people that run into problems with seals and oil on the Ebay turbos are running into the problems because they're also buying the oil feed and return lines from Ebay and that they're too big. 4an when they should be 3an ideally.
All these opinions from left and right have me confused on which route to go. A nice new turbo on Ebay, which far surpasses the power potential that I'd want to hit considering I'd be running pretty much a stock motor, would only be $350 as opposed to Garrett's or something comparable which are closer to $1k. I guess they're not supposed to last as long, but I've got guys telling me they've been running one on their car for almost 4 years with no problems and know several other people as well.
Do you know which route you were planning on going? I know you said you plan on getting an LS1 in the future, so how much are you planning on dropping into the turbo build?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The turbo is suppose to be built to use Pacesetters, which I happen to already have. They just get flipped to go up and point forward (from what I understand, hope the setup won't get changed). This kit is suppose to be including everything just for the 3.8. I think it's suppose to run somewhere around $1200, but since it technically doesn't exist quite yet, that price could change. It's not going to happen for quite awhile. I'm thinking around $2k just for that build including the tune (probably end up being more). I have to get her tuned for this rebuild first though. I have other things I want to do before getting into any boost.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Hmmm you're calling it a "kit". Do you know something I don't? lol. I've seen a few kits floating around but they're all either at least 3-4 times that price or not complete. Info?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I do

Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
Yes I do

LOL not givin up much are you?

Massey

Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nope. The turbo kits from this company don't exist quite yet. They're still developing and testing, so there's no point in talking a lot about it because well...it's not even available yet. And I'm not sure when it will be either. But I'll probably be one of their first buyers for it

Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't think I've ever added these to this, so I am just for the record.

First official fly-bys after the build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blMvUuXVHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyf4zqt29Jc

Launching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sraZMpCnSoU

Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member

I saw in another thread that you have more interior plans. Care to share them? And also, are you painting the hatch supports to match the hood ones? Just curious.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes and yes. I'm gonna do a rear seat delete and get 'racing' seats. Not the flimsy things, the more Corvette seat look (not really sure how to describe them). There's also an interior support bar that kinda takes the place of a roll cage. Since Sof won't be nearly fast enough to need a roll cage, I'd like to add some more support to her since she is a little tweaked. I also want an even better excuse to not have passengers in my car...lol.

As for the hatch supports, Case mentioned that after I painted the hood struts...and of course AFTER I had replaced the hatch supports already so I might just have him help me take them off sometime and paint them. It's going to be a mess if I keep them on and tape off and paint them. That hatch is heavy if not properly supported and comes crashing down...

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!