MKCoconuts Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No need to go big with the line, and you don't want to use hose.
Don't cheap out on the install, use the copper tubing, not the cheapo plastic stuff that most gauges come packed with.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
4th Gear Member

I was going to get some braided lines for it. But the plastic stuff will have to hold for now. The Satellite has the same line and haven't had any trouble with it so far and it's been a a few years. My hometown store doesn't carry the copper tubing, but my college does. I only got two weeks before I got back..so I'll be all right for now. But I was going to put the hose over the plastic line. That way if it breaks, it won't get over the new carpet.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh, a safety sheath eh? Better than without.
I got my copper tubing kit at AutoZone: Equus/Copper tubing kit (9901) | Gauge Hardware | AutoZone.com

Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Exactly. Just figure since I have some just laying around in my garage, may as well put it to use.
Looks like the same stuff I can get at work. I'd go to the Autozone up the road from us...but they won't sell to our employees. Which is sad because they're having a hard enough time running that place. We get customers all the time that come down and tell us about they're bad experience with them. One guy said he over heard a Autozone employee tell a lady he wouldn't change her battery because "it was lightning out" and to "go down to Advance and see if they'll do it".

Any ways, I'll be doing the install friday night/saturday morning if it's not raining. Any tips? Oil pressure is gonna be hooked to back of intake and water temp to the spot on the passenger head.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, got the water temp run through the wall, but not yet hooked up. Gotta find something to get the square nut out. Also don't have enough nylon tubing to reach the back of the intake running through the passenger hole, so gotta find somewhere else to run it.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Well a bit of an update. I got both the water temp sensor and oil pressure sensor lines run through the firewall and ready to be hooked up, but just when I thought it was gonna be easy, it got difficult. The plug I was going to take out for the water temp sensor is a square pipe plug, about 1/4" drive in size. I don't have any square bits quite that big so first I attempted to just use the 1/4" drive with a extension with no luck. Went online and read you can take a flat head and fit it corner to corner to get it out. Tried that, still no luck.

I was a little frustrated so I decided to let that go for now and try hooking up the oil pressure line. Pulled out my work mans light and a mirror extension to look back behind the intake to get a approximate size on the bolt. What do you know, it's a square head bolt. Needless to say after several different thoughts on how to get that out and failing with each, I called it quits for the night, cleaned up the garage, pulled the car out and went to sleep.

So does any one know of any way to get either of these out short of tearing the engine apart or out? I'm at a loss and a bit angered with GMs engineering yet again. If it comes down to it, I will trade my dad for the electric gauges that are in our Tempest project car and use those instead of mechanical even though I'm a supporter of mechanical gauges.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get all your 12 sided sockets out and find the one that fits the tightest, i used the one that had to be helped on, (i think it was metric) and go from there.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think he's describing a female plug. It is definitely square though, and not an Allen?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ones on mine were male and about 1/4 in open end wrench size.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Oh boy. Bare with me for a moment as it's been a while since I dealt with male/female calling of plugs. The one for the water temp one is a female plug and is stupidly square and not an allen, as that was my first thought too. The one for oil pressure is male and square as well. I'm sure I can get the oil pressure one out if I took the intake and used a crescent wrench. There's just not enough room between it and the firewall to fit one back there.

Here's pics to better describe what each looks like:

First pic is the one on the pass. head. Second is the one on the back of the block.

Attached Thumbnails MKCoconuts Z28 Project-071930.jpg   MKCoconuts Z28 Project-353051-s-plug.jpg  

Quick Reply: MKCoconuts Z28 Project