Harlock - 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8 V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Harlock - 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8 V6

Hi all, now that I've officially purchased my Camaro I've been plaguing you all with for the past couple of weeks, I figured I'd make a thread in here with updates and mods. For now, "his" name is Harlock. If anyone is wondering, the name is from a very old cartoon called Captain Harlock, from the same people that made Speed Racer. He's pretty much the most BA space pirate ever.

So, I got everything done on Saturday! He's officially mine now, has current inspection, registration and insurance. Everything was pretty quick and painless, except for when the lady at the notary couldn't find the title. But she eventually found it, she just wasn't looking in the right place. I met the previous owner's brother there, handed him the money for the car, shook his hand and off he went. We drove up right after doing the title transfer and put the new plate on. Feels good I'm having Halye's Garage put him on the lift today to fix that exhaust rattle and change oil/reset the low oil switch.

Then my dad is going to pick it up and take it to the Chevy dealership to get any parts/work done with his employee discount. I'll have them give him "the works" like I had them do with my Honda. Then dad and I can take over and start making him look BAF I gave my dad a list of parts to quote for me: tires, headliner, LH interior door handle trim, and a free set of floor mats from the huge pile they have in the detailing area, haha.

The silver is definitely gonna go, as are those Konig wheels. I'm getting a set of factory ones with the Chevy center caps.

Ideas for colors:
T-rex Colorshift

Diamond Green

Tahitian Green

Coral Green Pearl

Covert Black

(and yes, these are all liquid wraps; if there are any problems with me linking images from other sites just let me know)

Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Before you buy tires from a dealership check out Tirerack.com . They have made buying tires online real simple and if you have a local installer it is very hard to beat their deals. I used to get tires at Sears but when I told my salesmen the out the door price on 4 Michelin truck tires he said it was below his cost.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My dad gets a serious discount on parts and labor, which is why I'm having him get me a quote for stuff, before I go online and buy Don't worry, I'm aware of stealership prices.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay, first question!

I replaced the stock head unit and door speakers in my Honda Accord without much difficulty despite not knowing much about audio wiring and setup. I just followed the instructions. I only did the front door speakers and head unit, though. I didn't add a sub or rear deck speakers because running wire and installing new hardware where there previously was none was a little out of my league, and honestly I don't need a bangin' sound system in my Honda.

Harlock has this head unit:

From the brand and horrible wood grain trim I assume this is not the stock unit. The car is a 1998 base model.

My questions are:

How difficult is it to replace the hu in this car? I've heard they're more complex than other cars because they came with a better sound system, but I have no idea what the stock system is.

Can I trust Crutchfield to give me the correct info on what audio parts are compatible with my car? Stereo, speakers, wiring harness etc.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they were really good to me. best part was if i didnt like it they would take it back and let me try another. went through a few amps before i got the ones i liked.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The bad part of your situation is you are not sure what use to be in there and you are not sure how this install was done. Normally you buy the wiring adapter and the face plate adapter manufacture recommends and you whole process takes 30 minutes.

You could check your option codes to see if the you had the Monsoon system. If not and the last installer just used the wiring adapter it could still be simple. Or you could pull out a rats nest of wiring when you pull the radio.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That's what I'm afraid of, lol. Isn't there a box in the trunk for the premium sound system? I think my dad's Z28 has the Alpine system...at least I know his HU is Alpine.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

slide the unit out and see what the wiring looks like. shouldnt take much to get it out. hopefully they got the right plug adapter and youll just have to wire in the new unit. check your rpo's and see what she came with stock.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: Harlock - 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8 V6